Syracuse Mets Postpone Meet the Syracuse Mets Preseason Fundraiser
SYRACUSE, NY - The Syracuse Mets formally announced today the postponement of the scheduled Meet the Mets "Welcome Home" dinner as well as the closing of the team's office at NBT Bank Stadium in response to the efforts to combat the coronavirus.
For the safety of fans, players, and staff, and in conjunction to New York State and Onondaga County's requirement to cancel events for 50 or more people, the Syracuse Mets have postponed this year's Meet the Syracuse Mets Preseason Fundraiser event. The team is monitoring developments, and any information about rescheduling the event will be released at a later date.
The Meet the Mets "Welcome Home" dinner was to be held at the Embassy Suites at Destiny USA for the second year in a row. The dinner is designed to be a fundraiser for The Challenger Baseball League as well as each team in District 8 Little league.
"It's unfortunate that we have to delay the season, but we totally understand that the health and safety of the entire community is the most important thing right now," said Syracuse Mets General Manager Jason Smorol. "This event was very popular and enjoyed by our fans. We hope to be able to do a similar type of event this summer that still supports the Challengers and District 8 Little League."
The Syracuse Mets have also shut their business offices at NBT Bank Stadium, choosing to have the front office staff work from home remotely. A skeleton staff is still working at the stadium, and the team is still preparing for the anticipated abbreviated season ahead.
"Our staff is pound for pound the best in the Minor leagues, and we are just adapting to the new reality of the battle against this virus as best we can," said Smorol. "We still have work to do, and the Mets have made it easy for us to work from home. We will come through this, and when we do, the Syracuse Mets will be ready for our community."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from March 17, 2020
- 2020 ACC Baseball Championship Cancelled - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Mets Postpone Meet the Syracuse Mets Preseason Fundraiser - Syracuse Mets
- COVID-19 Update from the Indianapolis Indians - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Mets Catcher Rene Rivera Plays for Virtual Division Title Tonight at 6:30 Live on Twitch
- Syracuse Mets Partner with Dunkin' to Bring Coffee and Donuts to Workers at COVID-19 Testing Sites in Syracuse
- Syracuse Mets Helping to Raise Money for the Food Bank of Central New York as Part of Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Syracuse Mets to Broadcast Virtual Video Games Played by New York Mets Catcher Rene Rivera
- Minor League Baseball Offering Fans Free Preview of MiLB.TV