Supernovas Activate Hristina Vuchkova from Exempt List
OMAHA, Neb. - The Omaha Supernovas have activated middle blocker Hristina Vuchkova from the Supernovas' exempt list and have placed her on the 14-person active roster. Vuchkova is eligible to play immediately, starting with Omaha's match against the Grand Rapids Rise on Monday, February 12.
Emma Willis has been waived and may be picked up by another team in the Pro Volleyball Federation.
A 16-year pro from Sofia Bulgaria, Vuchkova signed with the Supernovas in July. She finished her playing season with the Liaoning Tengda professional team in the Chinese League in late January. At that point, Vuchkova gained her release from the FIVB and joined the Supernovas on Wednesday.
Vuchkova has played in some of the best professional volleyball leagues in the world, including stints in both Turkey and Italy. She was named the Best Blocker in the Chinese League during the 2022-23 season while winning the same award at the 2021 European Championships.
Vuchkova joins Omaha as it prepares for the first road match in franchise history with a showdown against the Grand Rapids Rise on Monday, February 12 at 6 p.m. CST.
Fans can listen to all the action courtesy of the Supernovas' flagship radio station, 93.7 The Ticket as well as affiliates in 95.7 The Boss in Omaha, KRVN in Lexington, KOLT in Scottsbluff and KTOC in West Point.
The Supernovas are one of seven U.S. teams for the 2024 inaugural season: Omaha Supernovas, Atlanta Vibe, Orlando Valkyries, Columbus Fury, Grand Rapids Rise, San Diego Mojo and Vegas Thrill. Three expansion teams, Dallas Pro Volleyball, Kansas City Pro Volleyball and Indianapolis Pro Volleyball, have been announced for 2025. The Supernovas will have 12 home and 12 away matches as part of a 24-match schedule across a 16-week regular season.
At the end of the regular season, the Supernovas aim to be in the final four playoff, chasing the Pro Volleyball Federation Championship in May. The championship's location will be determined and announced later.
• Discuss this story on the Pro Volleyball Federation message board...
Pro Volleyball Federation Stories from February 9, 2024
- Vibe Fall to Rise in First Loss of Season - Atlanta Vibe
- Rise Top Vibe in Battle of Unbeatens - Grand Rapids Rise
- Supernovas Activate Hristina Vuchkova from Exempt List - Omaha Supernovas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Supernovas Stories
- Supernovas Sweep Vibe; Move into First Place of Pro Volleyball Federation
- Supernovas Down Valkyries in Four Sets Behind Cartwright's Explosive Debut
- Supernovas Fall to Fury in Columbus Home Opener
- Supernovas Take Down Orlando as Omaha Sets U.S. Attendance Record
- Supernovas Break U.S. Professional Volleyball Indoor Attendance Record for Second Time