Super Subs, Penalty Stop Earn Draw against Indy
Seyi Adekoya's first goal of the season and CJ Cochran's penalty save helped Energy FC pick up a point against Indy Eleven Wednesday night at Taft Stadium.
Despite having the better of the chances in the first half with Aidan Daniels striking the post and Jaime Chavez narrowly missing a close-range header, it was Indy Eleven that took the lead into the break.
In the 12th minute, Ayoze's cross from the left drifted between the center backs and Manuel Arteaga was able to nod it past CJ Cochran to convert the visitors' only chance of the half.
The second half started slowly but ended dramatically. Mitch Osmond was called for a foul in the box which would have likely dashed any hope OKC had of getting anything out of the match. Arteaga, who drew the foul, stepped up to take the penalty but was denied by Cochran with a diving save low and to his left in the 82nd minute to keep the Greens in the match.
Second half substitutes Arun Basuljevic and Seyi Adekoya then combined to send Taft Stadium into a frenzy and earn a point for the Greens. Basuljevic delivered a curling cross into the box from the right wing to find Adekoya at the six-yard box, and the striker thumped his header past Robert Edwards.
Energy FC moves to 35 points and remains in the fourth and final playoff spot in the Central Division.
The Greens' homestand continues Sunday, October 3 against old Western Conference rival San Antonio FC at 7:30 p.m. at Taft Stadium. Tickets are available at energyfc.com/october3.
IND: Arteaga (Ayoze), 12'
OKC: Adekoya (Basuljevic), 87'
OKC: Chavez (Yellow Card), 28'
OKC: Batista (Yellow Card), 64'
IND: Arteaga (Yellow Card), 66'
OKC: Cochran (Yellow Card), 82'
IND: Edwards (Yellow Card), 90'+
OKC: BIjev (Yellow Card), 90'+
OKC Starting XI: GK: CJ Cochran; D: Conor Donovan (c), Mitch Osmond, Lamar Batista; M: Mueng Sunday (Kodai Iida, 83'), Tucker Stephenson, Hiroki Kurimoto (Arun Basuljevic, 65'), Charlie Ward, F: Jaime Chavez (Seyi Adekoya, 77'), Aidan Daniels, Villyan Bijev
Subs not used: Sam Howard, Brad Dunwell, Zach Ellis-Hayden, Deklan Wynne
IND Starting XI: GK: Bobby Edwards; D: Tobi Adewole (Karl Ouimette, 74'), Jared Timmer, Pat Seagrist; M: Ayoze (C) (Liam Doyle, 74'), Jeremiah Guthjahr, Kevin Partida (Abou Sissoko, 73'), Gershon Koffie, Alann Torres (Aidan Liu, 86'); F: Nicky Law, Manuel Arteaga
Subs not used: Jordan Farr, Gordon Wild, Nick Moon
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 29, 2021
- Super Subs, Penalty Stop Earn Draw against Indy - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Draws 1-1 vs. Louisville City FC - Atlanta United 2
- LouCity Caps Unbeaten Road Run with Draw at Atlanta United 2 - Louisville City FC
- Conoce Tus Raíces Night Presented by UserTesting - Oakland Roots
- Preview: Rising at LA Galaxy II, Wednesday at 7:30 on ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- The Next Chapter - New Mexico United
- USL and USLPA Announce Landmark Collective Bargaining Agreement - USL
- RDA Weekend Recap - September 25-26 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Hartford Hosts Charlotte in First Ever Noche Latina - Hartford Athletic
- San Antonio FC Loans Midfielder Leo Torres to Real Monarchs SLC - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs Add Leo Torres on Loan from San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.