Sundogs Come Back for 5-4, Overtime Win Over Jacks
ODESSA, TX - Patrick Shafer's overtime winner completed a 5-4, comeback win for the Arizona Sundogs (25-28-9) on Tuesday night over the Odessa Jackalopes (26-27-7) at the Ector County Coliseum. The game's result now creates a three-way tie in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference between Odessa, Arizona, and the Mississippi RiverKings.
Shafer's winner came on a wrist shot from the right circle with 2:06 remaining in the overtime period.
The Sundogs trailed the Jackalopes, 3-1, after the first period before mounting a charge in large part to Craig MacDonald's two goals and Levente Szuper's 37 saves.
The Jacks took that 3-1 lead with a pair of goals from Sebastien Thinel, and another from Mike Ramsay. MacDonald's first goal of the game also came in the opening frame.
The Sundogs answered back with three unanswered goals in the second period from MacDonald, Kyle Hood, and Matt Frick to take a 4-3 lead.
In the third period, Alex Dunn knotted the game at 4-4 during a delayed penalty situation against Arizona and a 6-on-4 advantage for Odessa. Todd Robinson's centering pass bounced around at the front of the goal crease before Dunn finally scored to even the game.
David McKee made 34 saves for Odessa in the loss.
Thinel extended his league-leading point total to 99 on the year -- setting a new franchise record.
The Jackalopes head on the road to begin a home-and-home series against the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees starting Thursday. Game time is set for 7:00 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2011
- Eagles Power Past Rush in Fight for First Place - Colorado Eagles
- Sundogs Come Back for 5-4, Overtime Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Earn 5-4 Overtime Win, Move into Tie for Fifth Place - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Jersey Auctions Make More Than Fashion Statement - Mississippi RiverKings
- Huculak a Finalist for CHL Man of the Year - Allen Americans
- Jakaitis Nominated for Man of the Year Award - Dayton Gems
- Gelinas Captures Weekly Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Marc-Antoine Gelinas Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Parties and Games to Wrap up Regular Season - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Rush Weekly - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Weekly - Kansas City Mavericks
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Start Road Trip Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- CHL Man of the Year Finalists Announced - CHL