Stone Crabs Drop Finale 11-4
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - The Dunedin Blue Jays rallied for seven runs in the second inning and cruised an 11-4 win to claim the series finale from the Charlotte Stone Crabs Sunday at Charlotte Sports Park.
Despite the lopsided loss, the Stone Crabs (64-51, 30-18) finished the homestand 6-1, their best mark in a homestand of seven game or more since their inaugural season of 2009.
Vidal Brujan reached base four more times Sunday, increasing his on base percentage to .563 through his first seven games.
In a scoreless game in the top of the second, Blue Jays (61-57, 30-20) catcher Riley Adams doubled before Logan Warmoth reached on an error. Kacy Clemens then grounded a single to left to give Dunedin a 1-0 lead. Nash Knight followed by lining a base hit to left to make it 2-0. Rodrigo Orozco then singled to load the bases before Josh Palacios drove in two with a single to center to extend the Blue Jays lead to 3-0. Two batters later, Kevin Smith smacked a three-run home run to left to cap the inning at 7-0 Dunedin.
The Stone Crabs responded in the bottom of the inning. After a walk, Kevin Padlo doubled to the gap in left center before Joey Roach drove home a run with a single to center. With runners at the corners and nobody out, Jermaine Palacios grounded into a double play to score a run and make it 7-2.
The Blue Jays added a run in the third on an Ivan Castillo double before Chad Spanberger hit a solo homer in the fourth to make it 9-2. Josh Palacios tacked on two more with a home run in the fifth to bring the score to 11-2.
Charlotte starter Josh Fleming (1-2) suffered the loss, surrendering seven runs (six earned) on eight hits over 1.2 innings. Chandler Raiden tossed four scoreless frames to close out the game.
Charlotte added a run in sixth on a single from Roach, and another in the seventh on a single from Andrew Miller.
The Stone Crabs will head to Fort Myers on Monday, opening a four-game series with the second place Miracle. Charlotte sends left-hander Brendan McKay (3-2, 3.06) against Griffin Jax (3-1, 3.04) of Fort Myers. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. with first pitch scheduled for 7 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Tortugas & Hammerheads Rained Out, Will Not be Made Up - Daytona Tortugas
- David Wright to Rehab in St. Lucie on Monday - St. Lucie Mets
- Ramos, Lartigue Lead Threshers to 4-1 Victory over Mets - Clearwater Threshers
- Threshers Pull Away for 4-1 Win against Mets - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Drop Finale 11-4 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Seventh Inning Rally Propels Miracle In 3-2 Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Sanchez Solid in Debut, Florida Drops Finale - Florida Fire Frogs
- Marauders and Tarpons Suspended: Game Will Resume in Tampa on August 31 - Bradenton Marauders
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Bradenton - Tampa Tarpons
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 12, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.