Stealth Acquire Pair of Players from Anaheim
SAN JOSE - San Jose Stealth Managing Director, General Manager and Head Coach Johnny Mouradian announced today that the organization has acquired goaltender Matt Roik and forward Mike Law from the Anaheim Storm in their dispersal draft.
Roik was selected in the first round (third overall) in the Anaheim dispersal draft. Playing in 16 games last season, Roik compiled a 4-8 record with a 12.94 goals-against average and a 72.47 save percentage. Over his four-year career with New Jersey and Anaheim, he has accumulated 1,190 saves, good enough for a 73.41 save percentage.
The six-foot-five, 215-pound Dunnvegas, Ontario native has spent his summer playing for the St. Catherines Major Athletics in the Ontario Lacrosse Association. Over the summer he has posted a 9.38 goals-against average in nine games. Roik was seen on ESPN SportsCenter's "Top Ten Plays" this season for scoring a goal.
Law did not compete in the 2005 season. In 16 games in 2004, the six-foot, 185-pound forward posted 53 points (22 goals, 31 assists) while scooping 78 loose balls. In 37 game for Vancouver and Anaheim over his three-year career, Law has notched 114 points (47 goals, 67 assists).
Mouradian is pleased with the players that were available at the time of San Jose's picks.
"In any dispersal draft you take the best available ball player that you can," he said. "We felt that Matt and Mike were the best guys at those slots and we are happy to have them on our side."
In order to make room for Roik and Law, San Jose released Ross Johnson and Luke Gilbert. Johnson notched two points (one goal, one assist) in three games last season, while Gilbert played in seven games, scoring nine points (five goals, four assists).
Complete Dispersal Draft List
(1) Edmonton - Rory Glaves (2) Portland - Casey Powell (3) San Jose - Matt Roik (Released Ross Johnson) (4) Minnesota - Bruce Murray (Released Shawn Summerfield) (5) Philadelphia - Peter Morgan (Released Bryan Bendig) (6) Colorado - Bill Greer (Released Paul Gait) (7) Calgary - Matt King (Released Ted Dowling) (8) Rochester - Cam Bergman (Released Tim Soudan) (9) Arizona - Chris McElroy (Released Mark Cochrane) (10) Arizona - Matt Dwane (Released Chris Panos) (11) Portland - Scott Stewart
(12) Edmonton - Damien Davis (13) Portland - Adam Bysouth (14) San Jose - Mike Law (Released Luke Gilbert) (15) Minnesota - Ryan Powell (Released Mike Attwood) (16) Philadelphia- Pat Jones (Released Bryan Cole)
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from July 20, 2005
- Arizona Sting Acquire Second Round Pick in 2007 NLL Entry Draft... - Arizona Sting
- Stealth Acquire Pair of Players from Anaheim - San Jose Stealth
- Mammoth Selects Greer in NLL Dispersal Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Minnesota Swarm slects Defenseman Bruce Murray and Forward Ryan Powell in Aneheim Dispersal Draft - Minnesota Swarm
- NLL Dispersal Draft Results - NLL
- Wings Rush To Reacquire Spano From Edmonton - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.