Stars Edge Rampage 4-3
CEDAR PARK, Texas- A third-period rally from the San Antonio Rampage (26-41-5-2) fell short as they dropped a 4-3 decision to the Texas Stars (33-36-1-4) on Wednesday night at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park.
Grimaldi's first-period goal made him the fifth skater in franchise history to ever record 30 goals in a single season. This feat hasn't been accomplished since Brett MacLean registered 30 goals in the 2009-10 campaign. Forward Garry Nunn recorded an assist in his 450th professional game.
San Antonio opened the scoring early in the first frame when Grimaldi scored his 30th goal of the season at the 3:57 mark. Stars netminder Justin Peters made the save on Grimaldi's initial shot, but the puck ricocheted off a Texas skate and into the back of the net. Texas tied the game at one with six seconds remaining in the period thanks to a Gemel Smith deflection that snuck behind Rampage goaltender Joe Cannata.
The scoring continued in the middle frame as Texas took the lead with a power-play goal from Matt Mangene at 11:52. San Antonio struck back with a power-play goal of its own at 15:27 when Chris Bigras buried the puck upstairs on Peters. The Stars wasted no time regaining the lead as Cole Ully tipped in a centering pass from Mark McNeil at the 16:12 mark. Texas took a 3-2 lead into the second intermission.
Texas collected its fourth goal of the evening in the opening minutes of the third period, when Denis Gurianov registered his 11th of the season at 5:09. Despite the Stars 4-2 lead, San Antonio responded quickly with a tally from Reid Petryk at 6:13, extending his goal streak to four games. The Rampage pulled Cannata with two minutes left in regulation en favor of an extra attacker, but failed to land the game-tying goal.
Forwards: Defensemen: Goaltenders:
Bourque - Smith - Grimaldi Bigras - Lindholm Cannata
Ranford - Girard - St. Amant Siemens - Boikov Martin
Nunn - Bourke - Petryk Gelinas - Young
Storm - Frazee - Shaw
The San Antonio Rampage will celebrate their loyal supporters with Fan Appreciation Night when they host the Texas Stars in the final home game of the season at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 14. Fans in attendance at the AT&T Center on Friday could go home with one of hundreds of giveaways from the Rampage and their partners. Friday's game will also be a Bud Light KISS 99.5 $1 Drink Night at the AT&T Center. Fans can purchase $1 domestic beers and sodas throughout the game. All Rampage games can be heard on Ticket 760 and SARampage.com. Individual tickets are available and can be purchased by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at SARampage.com. The 2016-17 season is presented by Wells Fargo.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2017
- Wolves Maintain Central Lead with Win over Iowa - Chicago Wolves
- Wild Falls to Wolves 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Monsters Keep Playoff Hopes Alive With Dramatic 5-4 Win Over Moose - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Drops Decision to Cleveland - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Reassign Forward Shawn St. Amant and Defenseman Sergei Boikov - San Antonio Rampage
- Reign Release Defenseman Alexx Privitera from PTO - Ontario Reign
- Reign Reassign Quentin Shore to Manchester (ECHL) - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Release Crema from ATO - Rochester Americans
- San Jose's Daniel O'Regan Voted Winner of AHL's Dudley (Red) Garrett Award - AHL
- Fan Appreciation Night Presented by Tops Friendly Markets Set For Friday Night - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Team Photo Giveaway and Autograph Signing April 15 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Set First Two Home Playoff Games - Milwaukee Admirals
- IceHogs Cap 2016-17 Season with Fan Appreciation Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Magic Number Down to One in Overtime Loss To Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Gulls Get Back to Winning Ways with 5-1 Victory over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Maillet and Amadio Roll Reign Past Heat in Overtime - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Score Two Early Goals, Hang on for 2-1 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Release Pacific Division Semifinals Schedule vs. San Diego - Ontario Reign
- Condors Fall in SD, But Remain in Playoff Hunt - Bakersfield Condors
- San Diego Gulls First Round Playoff Series Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Clinch Home-Ice Advantage with 2-1 Shootout Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Put up 48 Shots But Fall in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Shootout Win at Wilkes-Barre Locks up Spot In Playoffs - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Hold on for 4-3 Win over Rampage - Texas Stars
- Stars Edge Rampage 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- San Antonio Reassigns Goaltender Sam Brittain to Colorado Eagles
- Rampage Take Down Western Conference-Leading Moose in 4-2 Fashion
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update
- Rampage Power Past Monsters for 30th Win in 4-0 Shutout
- Rampage Collect Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Manitoba