Stamps Nominate Wiggan for Gaudaur Award
The Calgary Stampeders are pleased to announce Derek Wiggan as the team's nominee for the 2019 Jake Gaudaur Veterans' Award. The honour is given annually to the CFL player who best demonstrates the attributes of Canada's veterans, such as strength, perseverance, courage, comradeship and contribution to Canadian communities.
The award, which has been presented annually since 2010, was created in memory of Jake Gaudaur - the CFL's longest-standing Commissioner and a distinguished World War II veteran.
Wiggan, a native of Toronto, has been a mainstay on the Stamps' defensive line for the past five seasons following his collegiate career at Queen's. He set career-highs in tackles (35) and sacks (four) this year and started all 18 games for the first time since joining the Stampeders.
Respected for his on-field play and admired in the locker room, Wiggan has long been viewed by his teammates as an unsung hero.
This year's Jake Gaudaur Veterans' Award recipient - chosen from a field of nine nominees, one from each CFL club - will be honoured during the CFL awards ceremony hosted by TSN's James Duthie on Nov. 21 during Grey Cup week at Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome.
Images from this story
Calgary Stampeders defensive lineman Derek Wiggan
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from November 8, 2019
- WR Duron Carter Released - B.C. Lions
- Red and White Back Home to Face Winnipeg in Western Semi-Final - Calgary Stampeders
- QB Justice Hansen Joins Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Ryan King Nominated for Jake Gaudaur Veterans' Award - Edmonton Eskimos
- Argos OL Jamal Campbell Named a Nominee for the 2019 Jake Gaudaur Veterans' Award - Toronto Argonauts
- Stamps Nominate Wiggan for Gaudaur Award - Calgary Stampeders
- Nine Players Nominated for Jake Gaudaur Veterans' Award - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.