Stampede Fall Behind Early, Lose to Tri-City
Sioux Falls, SD - A rough first period was too much for the Stampede to overcome on Friday night at the PREMIER Center as the Herd fell to Tri-City by a score of 5-1. The Storm have the best record in the USHL at 25-5-1 and showed everyone why during the game. Karsen Dorwart tallied the only goal of the game for the Herd who are now winless in their last four games.
The Stampede knew the Storm would be a big challenge, but no one expected what would take place in the first period. Tri-City scored four times in the first frame, getting goals at 6:46, 8:50, 16:05 and 17:43, all at even strength for the commanding lead. Tri-City outshot the Stampede 12-7 in the period.
Dane Dowiak made it a 5-0 lead for the Storm 9:25 of the second with a power play goal and his second of the night. Sioux Falls got on the board in final seconds of the period when Karsen Dorwart was hooked while on a shorthanded breakaway. He was awarded a penalty shot and converted by faking out the Tri-City goaltender and putting it into the back of the net to make it 5-1 after two periods. Shots were tied, 7-7, in the period.
Tri-City outshot the Stampede 27-23 on the night and finished 1-for-5 on the power play while the Stampede were 0-for-3.
The Herd return to action Saturday night when they travel to Ralston, Nebraska for a date with the Omaha Lancers. Puck drop is 6:05 PM and fans can catch the game live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 105.1-FM, 107.9-FM and KELO.com. Fans can also watch the game live on HockeyTV.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2022
- Caps Roll in Series Opener over U17s, Win 3rd Straight - Madison Capitols
- Third Period Rally by the Buccaneers Seals a Win over the Lancers - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Fall Behind Early, Lose to Tri-City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Phantoms Snap Muskegon's Winning Streak, Lumberjacks Fall 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Goaltender Sebastian Wraneschitz Added to Roster - Tri-City Storm
- Gameday Preview: vs. Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- USHL Back in Dallas for 2022 Frosty Cup - USHL
- USHL Weekly Report - Week 16 - USHL
- Storm Takes Winning Streak to Sioux Falls - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.