St. Louis Ambush Eliminated from Playoffs with Loss to Kansas City
St. Louis Ambush midfielder Corey Adamson vs. the Kansas City Comets
(St. Louis Ambush, Credit: Scott Neer)
St. Charles, Missouri - The St. Louis Ambush concluded their postseason run with a 6-2 loss to the Kansas City Comets Sunday afternoon at The Family Arena. The loss ends the Ambush season, while Kansas City advances to the semifinal round in the MASL Ron Newman Cup Playoffs.
The visitors took a 2-0 lead in the first quarter on goals by Dominic Francis (9:28) and Leo Gibson (13:04). The Ambush got their first tally of the match on a restart when Stefan Mijatovic executed a well-placed shot over Kansas City's defensive wall and the outstretched hands of goalkeeper Nicolau Neto in the second minute of the second quarter. The Comets increased their lead when Matt Lewis drew Ambush goalkeeper Paulo out of the goal, then passed to Leo Gibson, who scored with relative ease at 8:42. Kansas City enjoyed a 3-1 lead as the teams retired to the lockers rooms for halftime.
After an Ambush coach's challenge led to a penalty kick, Max Ferdinand shot, Neto saved with his foot, the rebound came back to Ferdinand, who found the back of the net at 1:48 of the third quarter to make the score 3-2. The Comets answered seven seconds later when Kevin Ellis posted a goal to make it 4-2.
The fourth quarter remained scoreless until the fourth minute, when Ray Lee gave Kansas City a 5-2 lead with a high shot. With the sixth attacker in play for the Ambush, Ramone Palmer scored an empty-netter at 10:38 to make it a 6-2 affair and seal the fate for the Ambush.
All MASL postseason games can be viewed online at Facebook Live PPV . Fans can stay current on all Ambush news by visiting the team's official website, stlambush.com or on social media outlets.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 28, 2021
- Gutierrez Golden Again As Sockers Advance - San Diego Sockers
- Season Ends on 6-5 Overtime Loss to Sockers - Tacoma Stars
- Comets Advance to Semi-Finals with 6-2 Road Win over Ambush - Kansas City Comets
- St. Louis Ambush Eliminated from Playoffs with Loss to Kansas City - St. Louis Ambush
- Sidekicks Drop Second Playoff Game to Fury 10-7 - Dallas Sidekicks
- Fury Look to Finish off Tough Dallas Sunday - Ontario Fury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Louis Ambush Stories
- St. Louis Ambush Fan Favorite Corey Adamson Moves On
- St. Louis Ambush Name Greg Muhr Head Coach
- St. Louis Ambush Part Ways with Head Coach Hewerton
- St. Louis Ambush Eliminated from Playoffs with Loss to Kansas City
- St. Louis Ambush Drop Playoff Game One to Kansas City