Special Teams, and Smolinski, Dominate
FLINT, MI - Bryan Smolinski had a goal and 3 assists and the Flint Generals scored twice on the powerplay and twice while shorthanded to defeat the Bloomington PrairieThunder 4-2 Friday night in front of 1867 loud fans at Perani Arena on Friday night. The win pulls the Generals (32-35-3-4 71pts) within 1 point of the 4th and final playoff spot currently being held by Bloomington (31-33-4-6 72pts), with 2 games remaining for both teams.
Pascal Rheaume opened the scoring for the Generals in the first period on the powerplay as they took their 1-0 lead to the dressing room after the first. The teams traded goals in the second when John Mori scored on a short-handed breakaway, Matt McIlvance scored for the PraireThunder to cut the lead to 2-1 after 2 periods. Chris Bogas scored the Generals 3rd goal of the game, and eventual game winner, again while short-handed. John Booras added one for Bloomington to cut the lead to 3-2, but Smolinski's powerplay goal with less than 9 minutes remaining gave the Generals the cushion they needed to skate off with the victory. Sergei Zvyagin got the win in goal for the Generals stopping 29 of 31 shots. Andrew Martin took the loss for Bloomington.
Both the Generals and Bloomington have two games remaining in this the final weekend of the season. The Generals play their final home game of the regular season on Saturday night at 7:30pm when the league leading Muskegon Lumberjacks come to town. Saturday is UAW Night, where all UAW members can purchase tickets at a special price. It is also going to be Team Awards Night', where the Generals will be honoring some of their own for their accomplishments this season. The Generals then wrap up the regular season with a game in Fort Wayne on Sunday. Bloomington travels to Port Huron where they have back to back games against the IceHawks tomorrow and Sunday.
Tickets for Saturday's final regular season home game are available in person at the Perani Arena Box Office, online at Ticketmaster.com or by phone by calling (810) 742-0580.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 16, 2010
- Gems blanked by Lumberjacks - Dayton Gems
- Mallards Rally Past Fort Wayne in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Special Teams, and Smolinski, Dominate - Flint Generals
- Thunder fall - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Icehawks Sign Rookie Goalie Raffaele D'Orso - Port Huron Icehawks
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals