Sparks Acquire No. 7 Overall Pick in 2021 Draft
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Sparks acquired the No. 7 overall pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft from the Dallas Wings, the team announced today. The Sparks have also acquired the Wings 2022 second-round pick which they acquired in a trade with the Chicago Sky. In exchange, the Sparks will send Dallas their 2022 first-round pick.
"Our goal is to continue to build a roster that emphasizes versatility, athleticism, and players who can make plays for others and defend multiple positions," General Manager/Head Coach Derek Fisher said. "We believe that this draft has several players who can make an immediate impact and play a role for us. We're excited to acquire the No. 7 pick and have two first-round picks heading into tomorrow's draft."
The trade gives the Sparks five selections in the 2021 WNBA Draft, which will air Thursday, April 15 on ESPN from 4-6 p.m. PT. The Sparks now hold the No. 7 and No. 10 overall picks in the draft, both first-round picks. In addition, the team holds No. 22 and No. 28 overall as second-round picks. LA has one third-round pick which is the No. 34 overall selection.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 14, 2021
- Fans to Test Selection Skills Through Pick Your Pick During WNBA Draft 2021 - WNBA
- Vanessa Nygaard Joins Bill Laimbeer & Tanisha Wright as Las Vegas Aces Finalize Coaching Staff - Las Vegas Aces
- Sparks Acquire No. 7 Overall Pick in 2021 Draft - Los Angeles Sparks
- Dallas Wings and Los Angeles Sparks Exchange Draft Picks - Dallas Wings
- Miller, Sun Looking to Build on Second Round Success - Connecticut Sun
- 2021 WNBA Draft Preview - Los Angeles Sparks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.