Sockers Sign Forward Cesar Romero
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Sockers today announced the signing of forward Cesar Romero to a player contract for the 2019-20 Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) season. Per team and league policies, no details or terms of the deal were released.
"Cesar has been an impact player in both the MLS and overseas," said Sockers director of player personnel Chiky Luna, "He was an invitee to our preseason camp and made a quick impression on our staff. We are excited to see what Cesar can bring to the indoor game on a regular basis."
Romero, 30, last played professionally in the Armenian Premier League in 2018 for FC Alashkert, and previously was the top foreign scorer in the APL in 2014-15 with Pyunik, scoring 27 goals in 33 appearances. Romero's North American pro experience includes a 2012 stint with Chivas USA of MLS, where he scored two goals in fourteen appearances, and thirteen games with Coras of Acenso MX, the second division league in Mexico.
"I'm happy and ready to work," said Romero of his signing, "I'm thankful for the opportunity and ready to start the indoor chapter of my career."
A Chula Vista resident and U.S. citizen, Romero had a brief dalliance with the indoor game before beginning his Chivas USA career, scoring 33 goals in four matches for Revolucion Tijuana in 2011, including a pair of nine-goal games.
The Sockers begin their 2019-20 MASL campaign on Sunday evening at 5:05pm, when they host the Turlock Cal Express at Pechanga Arena San Diego. Season and single game tickets are available by going online to sockers.com, or calling (866) 799-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from November 21, 2019
- Sockers Sign Forward Cesar Romero - San Diego Sockers
- Comets Announce Season Opening Roster - Kansas City Comets
- Heat Resign Julian Escobar and Sign Goalkeeper Jesus "Chuy" Molina - Harrisburg Heat
- Utica City Signs Trio Ahead of Season Opener - Utica City FC
- Home Opening Weekend for Rochester's Team - Rochester Lancers
- 'New Look' Florida Tropics Will Make 2019-20 Debut against Orlando Friday Night - Florida Tropics SC
- Metrostars Canada Series against Rochester Lancers Postponed - Mississauga MetroStars
- Baltimore Blast vs. Utica City FC Game Preview - Baltimore Blast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.