Sockers Need to Rebound in Game Two to Force Mini-Game
SAN DIEGO - The 14-time and 2017-18 Pacific Division Champion San Diego Sockers were unexpectedly forced into a must-win game on Saturday, March 10, 7:05 p.m., at Valley View Casino Center, by losing to the determined Tacoma Stars 5-2 in the Pacific Northwest on Thursday night.
The Sockers must win Game Two of the DIvisional Series to force a 15-minute Mini-Game ten minutes after the conclusion of Game Two. San Diego has played mini-games in the last two seasons (1-1).
San Diego, who had the second-best record in the MASL, was playing uncharacteristically timid against the Stars in yesterday's match. Falling behind by two in the first period, then being too patience in the offensive zone.
With the win, Tacoma has gained confidence, but they may well be facing a different Sockers team on Saturday night at home. San Diego was 11-0 at the VVCC and averaged more than eight goals per match.
The defense, something that the squad is proud of, held its own but did suffer some self-inflicted mistakes allowing several easy Stars goals. On a normal night, allowing five goals was easily overcome by the potent offense. However, they must correct their shyness in the offensive zone to change the result.
Chris Toth is expected to start in goal for San Diego, but don't blame Boris Pardo for last night's loss. He spent a tough night behind a defense allowing plenty of open space and easy chances.
Tickets for only $20 and $10 with FREE parking are available at the Valley View Casino Center Box Office. The first 2,000 Supporters will receive a FREE Playoff Rally Towel, and it is a $2 Bud Light Night. Visit Sockers.com/playoff for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 9, 2018
- Sockers Need to Rebound in Game Two to Force Mini-Game - San Diego Sockers
- Blast Game Preview: Game Two of Eastern Division Final - Baltimore Blast
- Stars Blast Sockers 5-2 in Playoff Opener - Tacoma Stars
- Tacoma Defeats San Diego 5-2 to Take Game One - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- San Diego Sockers Mourn Passing of the Legendary Ron Newman
- MASL Announces Conference & Divisional Alignments
- 2018-19 MASL Home Opener Set for Sunday, December 16 for 40th Anniversary
- Sockers Hosting World Cup Viewing Party Series at Nason's Beer Hall at Pendry Hotel San Diego
- Veteran Defender Eddie Velez Extended with Multi-Year Contract