Smokies Receive Southern League Community Service Award
SEVIERVILLE - The Southern League of Professional Baseball Clubs has announced that the Tennessee Smokies Baseball Team is the recipient of the 2019 Southern League Community Service Award.
The Southern League states that the award winner should be a club that demonstrates an outstanding, ongoing commitment to charitable service, support, and leadership within both their local community as well as the entire baseball industry.
The Tennessee Smokies have had a great amount of community involvement throughout the entire 2019 season. The Smokies attend several events throughout the year with mascot/staff presence, and either attend or host events for schools, fundraising, networking, the local community, and much more. The Smokies also donate proceeds from jersey auctions on theme nights to specific charities including Remote Area Medical, American Cancer Society, Donate Life Tennessee, Alzheimer's Tennessee, the Pat Summitt Foundation, and United Way of Greater Knoxville and Sevier County. The Smokies have had six different themed jerseys that have been auctioned on respective theme nights to benefit charity.
"We are honored to receive this award from the Southern League," Stated Boyd Sports President and COO Chris Allen. "We always love giving back to our community each and every season, as what we do would not be possible without the support of our local community. We look forward to supporting our great community for years to come."
This season, the Smokies once again teamed up with U.S. Cellular for the U.S. Cellular Little League Takeover in which little league players get the full Smokies experience for a day. The Smokies staff provide PA announcements for the players, press conference style interviews, on-field games, and mascot appearances. The club also has charitable contributions that total over $200,000, helping organizations throughout the Knoxville and Sevierville communities.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 9, 2019
- Kelsey Thompson Receives 2019 Southern League Woman of Excellence Award - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biloxi Shuckers Southern League Championship Series Homestand Highlights - Biloxi Shuckers
- Update on Dillon Thomas - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Receive Southern League Community Service Award - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Win Southern League Promotional Trophy; O'Brien Earns Sports Media Award - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Win South Division, Clinch Spot in Championship Series - Biloxi Shuckers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- USSSA Knoxville's 2020 Tennessee Smokies Super Regional Will be Held Inside Smokies Stadium & Nearby Fields
- Smokies Invitational Will be Friday, March 13
- Smokies Announce First Annual Indoor Hitting League
- Smokies Stadium Field Wins 2019 Tennessee Turfgrass Association Field of the Year Award
- Smokies Applaud Save Minor League Baseball Task Force