Slammers Winning Streak Ends at 5, Fall to Miners 5-2
Taylor Sparks got the Miners on the board in the top of the 1st inning when he hit a long 3-run homerun over the wall in left field. Jamey Smart would tack on another run for the Miners when he hit a solo homerun in the 3rd inning giving them a 4-0 lead.
The Slammers were able to put together a little rally in the bottom half of the 4th inning to push across their first run of the game. Harrison Bragg and Riley Krane led off the inning with single, advanced on a groundout, then Bragg was able to score on an RBI groundout from Jacob Crum. 4-1 game after 4 innings.
Riley Krane would cut the lead in half in the 4th inning when he belted his 6th homerun of the season out onto Power Alley Road. That was Krane's second homerun in as many games. The Miners got that run back in the ensuing inning after Yeltsin Gudino scored on a throwing error. 5-2 Miners after 7 innings.
Outside of the 2 homeruns, Kit Fowler had a quality outing for the Slammers. He lasted 6 innings, gave up 4 runs on 5 hits, struck out 5 while only walking 3. Unfortunately for Fowler, he would be the losing pitcher in tonight's game.
For the Miners, Frank Moscatiello pitched 5 innings, gave up 2 runs on 6 hits, struck out 6 while only walking 3. Moscatiello would be the winning pitcher in tonight's contest.
With the loss, the Slammers see their 5-game winning streak come to an end. They fall to 37-46 on the season, while the Miners move to 41-36 with the win. The rubber match of this 3-game series will be Sunday, August 18th, with first pitch scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturer's Bank Player of the Game is: Riley Krane (3-4, HR, 1 RBI).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Long's Four-RBI Night Propels Otters over Grizzlies - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Fall 9-6 to Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Power and Pitching Lead Miners to Win at Joliet - Southern Illinois Miners
- Freedom Walk-Off to Say in First - Florence Freedom
- Late Homer Sinks Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Drop Wild Game in Florence - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Good in All Facets in Victory - Washington Wild Things
- Slammers Winning Streak Ends at 5, Fall to Miners 5-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Bounces Back to Beat ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Epic Rally in Ninth Comes up Short for Miners in Joliet - Southern Illinois Miners
- Freedom Fall in High-Scoring Opener - Florence Freedom
- Otters Can't Solve Grizzlies in Series Opener - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.