Slammers Drop Game 1 vs. Otters 3-1
After the Otters went 1-2-3 in the 1st inning, they got a leadoff double from Dakota Phillips in the 2nd inning who then moved to 3rd after Slammers pitcher Tyler Jandron was called for a balk. After back-to-back weak groundballs, Phillips was brought home courtesy of a double from Rob Calabrese giving the Otters a 1-0 lead.
The Otters would add two more runs in the top 4th thanks to an RBI double from Carlos Castro, who brought home Ryan Long after he reached via a leadoff walk. Castro then scored the second run of the inning after an RBI single from Rob Calabrese, making it a 3-0 game.
The Slammers would finally break into the run column in the bottom of the 7th. With two outs, the Slammers benefited from 3 singles by Riley Krane, Brian Parreira, and Ridge Hoopii-Haslam, whose single brought home Krane making it a 3-1 game.
Tyler Jandron started the game for the Slammers. He grinded through 7 innings, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits. Jandron also struck out 7 Otter hitters, including striking out the side in the 6th inning. Jandron's final line: 7 IP, 5 H, 7 K, 1 BB, 3 ER.
The Otters received a great outing from Starting Pitcher Randy Wynne. He pitched 8 innings while only allowing 1 run. The Slammers were able to get some hits off Wynne but were never able to capitalize. Wynne's final line: 8 IP, 6 H, 6 K, 0 BB, 1 ER.
The Otters take game 1 of this 3-game series, with game 2 scheduled for Wednesday, June 5th. With the loss, the Slammers fall to 7-15 snapping their short 2-game win streak. The Otters improve their record to 13-9, and now have won 2 games in a row.
Winning Pitcher: Randy Wynne (4-1)
Losing Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (1-2)
Save: Hrbek (3)
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturer's Bank Player of the Game is: Ridge Hoopii-Haslam--- (1-3, RBI).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 4, 2019
- Miners Dropped by Wild Things in Series Opener - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Drop Game 1 vs. Otters 3-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Run Away with Opener against Miners - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom to Host Windy City on Wednesday and Thursday - Florence Y'alls
- Grizzlies Alumni Update - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Joliet Slammers Stories
- Slammers Gifts Give Back to Community Organizations
- Frontier League Designated as Partner League of Mlb
- Parreira' Blast, Bullpen's Effort Fuel Slammers' 4-3 Win over NERDS Herd
- Vaughan, Procyshen and McSteen Shine in Slammers' 5-2 Win
- Jones' Dominant Start Lifts Tully Monsters Past NERDS Herd, 6-0