Six-Run Fourth Leads to Bears Win Over Eugene
The Yakima Bears started a five-game home series at Yakima County Stadium against the Eugene Emeralds with a 7-1 win. The Bears were unable to gain any ground in the Northwest League East Division standings, as the Tri-City Dust Devils also won Tuesday.
Bears starter Blake Perry did the heavy lifting in the win, allowing only one hit and one run in seven innings of work. Perry earned the win, his first in the Northwest League.
After Perry allowed the one run in the top of the third inning, the Bears tied the game in the bottom of the third on a double from Danny Pulfer that plated Matt Jensen from second base.
The Bears offense exploded in the fourth inning, sending 11 men to the plate and scoring six runs. Justin Hilt led off with a walk and scored on an off-the-wall double to left by Tyler Bream. Kerry Jenkins reached on a fielder's choice that failed to produce an out and Jae Yun Kim singled to load the bases. Westley Moss hit a grounder to third that was misplayed, allowing every runner to be safe, including Bream, who scored from third. Pulfer singled to right, scoring both Jenkins and Kim. Moss scored on an error following a single from Garrett Weber. Pulfer scored the inning's final run when Justin Hilt hit a single.
The Bears finished the game with10 hits and six walks against the six different pitchers the Emeralds used. Pulfer led the way, going 3-for-5 with a double, a run, three RBIs, and a stolen base. Kim was the only other Bears batter with a multi-hit game, as he went 2-for-4 with a run. Seven of the nine Bears batters did have a hit, including Bream, who extended his current hitting streak to 12-straight games.
The Bears used three pitchers out of the bullpen. Willy Paredes had three strikeouts in one inning of work. Mike Blake had two strikeouts, but also allowed two walks and was pulled with only one out needed to end the game. After walking a batter, Victor Acosta got that final out, leaving the bases loaded.
The Bears are now 18-16 in the second half. Wednesday the Bears again play host to the Eugene Emeralds at Yakima County Stadium. Game time for the second game of the five-game series is scheduled for 7:05. Right-handed pitchers Yiomar Camacho of the Bears and Colin Rea of the Emeralds are the expected starters for the two teams.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 31, 2011
- Hawks earn a 10-1 victory - Boise Hawks
- Vancouver steamrolled 10-1 by Boise Hawks; playoff hopes starting to fade - Vancouver Canadians
- Three Dust Devils Receive Postseason Honors - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Paul Hoilman And Rafael Lopez Named To The 2011 Northwest League All-star Team - Boise Hawks
- Paul Hoilman and Rafael Lopez Named to the 2011 Northwest League All-Star Team - Boise Hawks
- Indians Drop Series Opener to AquaSox 9-4 - Spokane Indians
- Dust Devils Walk Off in Bergman's Final Start - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Six-Run Fourth Leads to Bears Win Over Eugene - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.