Sioux Falls' Greg Stiemsma Named Defensive Player Of The Year
April 16, 2010 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK, April 16, 2009 - Sioux Falls Skyforce forward Greg Stiemsma has been selected as the NBA Development League's Defensive Player of the Year by a vote of the League's 16 head coaches.
"Our organization is extremely happy for Greg," said Skyforce head coach Tony Fritz. "He did a great job of anchoring our defense and protecting the basket all year. He is one of the reasons we had such a successful season."
Stiemsma appeared in 45 games, 44 starts, for Sioux Falls during the regular season, averaging 8.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and an NBA D-League-best 3.6 blocks. He scored in double figures 24 times, recording 11 double-doubles and one triple-double, when he scored 20 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and blocked 10 shots in a 107-105 victory over the Springfield Armor in Sioux Falls on Dec. 27, 2009.
In the 2010 NBA D-League postseason, Stiemsma played in all three of Sioux Falls' games, averaging 15.0 points, 10.7 rebounds (fourth in the NBA D-League 2010 postseason) and an NBA D-League playoff-high 4.3 blocks in 31.0 minutes before Sioux Falls was eliminated by the Tulsa 66ers last week. Stiemsma earned a GATORADE Call-Up to the Minnesota Timberwolves on April 13.
"Greg worked hard on the defensive end of the floor all season long, displaying his determination and energy every night," said Chris Alpert, Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel for the NBA D-League. "I'm pleased to see the coaches recognize his tremendous effort, and I congratulate Greg on the accomplishment."
Stiemsma joins Brent Petway, (Idaho, 2008-09), Stephane Lasme (Los Angeles, 2007-08), Mouhamed Sene (Idaho, 2007-08), Renaldo Major (Dakota, 2006-07), Derrick Zimmerman (Austin, 2005-06; Columbus 2004-05), Karim Shabazz (Charleston, 2003-04), Mikki Moore (Roanoke, 2002-03) and Jeff Myers (Greenville, 2001-02) as winners of the NBA D-League's Defensive Player of the Year Award.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 16, 2010
- Unlikely Stars Lead Energy Past Tulsa in Game One, 107-102 - Iowa Wolves
- Oklahoma City's Mullens And Shakur Re-Assigned To Tulsa 66ers - G League
- McLeod & Gilder Earn All-NBA D-League Honorable Mention Honors - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Shakur, Owens, Mullens Named To All NBA D-League Teams - Tulsa 66ers
- Sioux Falls' Greg Stiemsma Named Defensive Player Of The Year - G League
- Four Vipers Alumni On NBA Playoff Rosters - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jackson & Bryant Earn All NBA D-League Honorable Mention Honors - Erie BayHawks
- Stinson & Martin Named 1st Team All NBA D-League - Iowa Wolves
- Harris, Conroy And Anderson Earn All-NBA Development League Honors, Temple Earns Honorable Mention - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NBA Development League Announces 2009-10 Gatorade All-League Selections - G League
- Former-Viper Aaron Brooks Coming For Playoffs Watch Party At Pepper's Saturday - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Iowa Energy Players To Appear At Scheels Sporting Goods Saturday - Iowa Wolves
- 2010-11 Tickets Now Available - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.