Sioux City Struggles To Find Offense Against The Storm
KEARNEY, NE - The Musketeers made the trip down south to Kearney for the first time this season for two games against the league-leading Tri-City Storm. Unfortunately for Sioux City, Friday night was a game they will want to put in the rearview as quickly as possible, final score 5-1 Storm.
Tri-City controlled much of the play in the 1st period and it would take just over half the period to find their first goal. Former Musketeer Connor McMenamin made a few nice moves on the right side before walking in on goal and beating Sibell to give the Storm a 1-0 lead. Sioux City struggled to gain any traction offensively and would head to the locker room down 1-0.
The 2nd period was more of the same for both teams, meaning The Musketeers struggled to find any offense. The Storm would score just over 5 minutes into the period to give the Storm a 2-0 lead. The Musketeers did a good job keeping Tri-City off the board in the man advantage but would head off the ice after the 2nd down 2-0.
Things would go downhill for Sioux City in the 3rd period. The Storm extended their lead to 4-0 before Bobby Brink ended the shutout with his 24th goal of the season. Tri-City would respond under a minute later to take a 5-1 lead and that is how this one would end. Final score 5-1.
Jake Sibell was strong in net for Sioux City tonight, stopping 31 of 36 Musketeer shots while Jake Barczewski stopped 15 of 16 Musketeer shots.
In another bit of bad news for Sioux City, the Lancers took down the Fargo Force by a score of 1-0, bringing them within one point of the Musketeers for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Sioux City must dig deep with another tough game coming up against the Storm tomorrow night. Puck drop set for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Big Second Period Leads Stampede to Victory over Chicago - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Muskegon Loses Lead Late, Falls in OT at Dubuque - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Sioux City Struggles To Find Offense Against The Storm - Sioux City Musketeers
- Strong Second Propels Stampede Past Steel 7-4 - Chicago Steel
- Maccelli's Overtime Winner Leads Dubuque to Thrilling 3-2 Win over Lumberjacks - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Two Goals from Janicke Sends the Aces Past the Capitols - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Shorthanded Bucs at Their Best - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Preview - USA U18's at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Weekend Primer: Lumberjacks and Buccaneers Roll in to Dubuque to Take on Fighting Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Battle against Musketeers at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.