Two Goals from Janicke Sends the Aces Past the Capitols
MIDDLETON, Wisc. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces defeated the Madison Capitols, 3 to 1, in their final matchup of the season.
Mid-way through the first, Sebastian Dirven (Cornwall, Ont.) shot the puck from the point. Brad Marek (Big Rapids, Mich.) had established a net-front position, but his deflection went off the post. He stuck with it and was able to put the rebound past the Madison netminder for his ninth goal of the season.
Less than a minute into the second, Marek passed through two Capitols players to send Philippe Lapointe (Burr Ridge, Ill.) into the offensive zone. Trevor Janicke (Maple Grove, Minn.) beat his man to join the rush and create a two-on-one. Lapointe passed to Janicke and the Aces' captain netted his eighteenth of the season.
Madison scored their first of the game midway through the third. Kyle Kukkonen potted a loose rebound after the initial save from Central Illinois.
Janicke scored his second goal of the game with less than three minutes left in the game. The University of Notre Dame commit won a face-off back to Lapointe. Lapointe found Colby Enns (Minot, ND) at the point. Enns fired the puck, and Janicke tipped it from the slot to restore the two-goal lead for Central Illinois.
Mitchell Gibson (Phoenixville, Penn.) backstopped the Flying Aces to the victory with 37 saves.
Tomorrow night, the Flying Aces return home to take on the Muskegon Lumberjacks for 309 Blackout Night. Central Illinois hosts the Sioux City Musketeers next weekend on March 16th and 17th for Local Heroes Night and St. Patty's Sunday Funday.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Big Second Period Leads Stampede to Victory over Chicago - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Muskegon Loses Lead Late, Falls in OT at Dubuque - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Sioux City Struggles To Find Offense Against The Storm - Sioux City Musketeers
- Strong Second Propels Stampede Past Steel 7-4 - Chicago Steel
- Maccelli's Overtime Winner Leads Dubuque to Thrilling 3-2 Win over Lumberjacks - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Two Goals from Janicke Sends the Aces Past the Capitols - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Shorthanded Bucs at Their Best - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Preview - USA U18's at Stars - Lincoln Stars
- Weekend Primer: Lumberjacks and Buccaneers Roll in to Dubuque to Take on Fighting Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Battle against Musketeers at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.