Shields named to USL-1 Team of the Week
CARY, N.C. - Carolina defender Greg Shields was named to the season's final USL-1 Team of the Week on Tuesday.
Shields got the nod for his role on the backline in Friday's 2-0 win over Montreal at WakeMed Soccer Park. Shields and the rest of the Carolina defense held the Impact to eight shots en route to recording their league-leading 17th shutout of the season.
Shields is the 18th different RailHawk and seventh different defender to earn a Team of the Week selection this season. And it is the 17th time this year at least one Carolina player has made a Team of the Week. Since joining the RailHawks in mid-July from Scotland's Dunfermline Athletic, Shields has appeared in nine matches and played 736 minutes. Of the eight matches he has started, Shields has been a part of five shutouts.
"He has been a major addition to our squad," said Carolina coach Martin Rennie. "He brings a lot of quality and great leadership. It is nice to see him being recognized in the Team of the Week."
Shields and the RailHawks (16-7-7) begin postseason play later this week. They will face the Vancouver Whitecaps in the two-leg, aggregate goal quarterfinal. The first leg will be played Thursday at 10:30 p.m. in Vancouver, while the return leg is Sunday at 5 p.m. at WakeMed Soccer Park.
USL First Division Team of the Week
Pos Name Team Highlights
G Keith Wiggans Charleston Three saves in 0-0 draw at Rochester
D Greg Shields Carolina Led team in 2-0 win over Montreal
D Kenney Bertz Rochester Led team in 0-0 draw against Charleston
D Matt Bobo Charleston Led team in 0-0 draw at Rochester
M Jonathan Steele Puerto Rico Goal in 3-1 win at Miami
M Tsuyoshi Yoshitake Charleston Goal, assist in 3-2 win at Minnesota
M Gordon Chin Vancouver Led team in 2-1 win over Cleveland
M Ricardo Sanchez Minnesota Goal in 3-2 loss against Charleston
F Teteh Bangura Cleveland Goal in 2-1 loss at Vancouver
* F George Josten Portland Two goals in 2-1 win over Cleveland
F Nicholas Addlery Puerto Rico Goal, assist in 3-1 win at Miami
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from September 22, 2009
- Showdown in Downtown - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Begin Playoffs on Thursday - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Teteh Bangura On Final USL-1 Team of the Week - Cleveland City Stars
- Timbers' Josten Selected As Player Of The Week - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps Set For Carolina Playoff Series - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Students Join The Fight Against Malaria - Montreal Impact
- Shields named to USL-1 Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- Week 24 USL-1 honors announced - USL-1
- Battery set for playoff series with Montreal Impact - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina FC Announces Departure of Head Coach Dave Sarachan
- North Carolina FC Makes Strategic Move to USL League One
- U.S. Women's National Team Will Hold January Training Camp and Host Two Matches against Colombia in Orlando, Florida to Kick off 2021
- Final Downtown South Parcel Closing
- Raleigh City Council Votes 7-1 in Favor of Rezoning Proposal for Downtown South