SF Bulls Stun Aces with 1-0, Shutout Victory in Game 2
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Thomas Heemskerk stopped all 32 shots he faced, and Kory Falite scored the game-winning goal in the third period in a 1-0 victory for the San Francisco Bulls over the Alaska Aces, Saturday night at Sullivan Arena in Game 2 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals. Heemskerk posted the first shutout in San Francisco team history, stunning the hometown Aces. The best-of-seven series is now tied at one, with the series shifting back to the Cow Palace for Game 3 on Thursday night. The victory ensured that a Game 5 will be played in San Francisco on Saturday, April 13.
The Bulls and Aces skated to a scoreless first period. Heemskerk was the busier of the two goalies, making nine saves. His counterpart Gerald Coleman stopped all five shots he saw. The first period was highlighted by impressive San Francisco penalty killing. The Bulls killed both Alaska power plays, and did not allow a shot on the first Alaska man advantage.
It was the same story in the second period. Both goaltenders made big saves for their teams, and special teams continued to be a huge storyline. After consecutive penalty calls, the Bulls were called upon to kill a four-on-three power play. Led by Jordan Morrison, Simon Danis-Pepin and Dylan King, the Bulls smothered the Aces power play. Heemskerk came up with big saves when called upon. Tristan King had to be escorted off the ice after a questionable hit which was deemed not to be worthy of a penalty by the referee.
The Bulls took their first lead of the series five minutes into the third period. Falite collected a rebound in front of the Alaska goal and shot the puck into the roof of the net. Brett Findlay and Dean Ouellet assisted on Falite's goal. The Aces pulled Coleman with a minute remaining in the game, but Heemskerk and the Bulls didn't allow any quality chances. The clock struck zero, and the series was tied at one.
San Francisco returns home for Game 3 on Thursday, April 11 at 7:15pm. Game 4, and Game 5, will take place on April 12 and 13, both at 7:15. Order your 'Pay as We Play' Packs to get discounts on walkup ticket prices. Call 855-SF-BULLS for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2013
- ECHL Transactions - April 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - April 7 - ECHL
- Heemskerk, Bulls Blanks Aces 1-0 to Even Series - Alaska Aces
- DÃÂ©jÃÂ vu in Game 2, Reed gives Thunder overtime win and 2-0 series lead - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Fall to Stockton in Game 2 Overtime, 3-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- SF Bulls Stun Aces with 1-0, Shutout Victory in Game 2 - San Francisco Bulls
- Ontario Wins 2nd Straight in Overtime to Capture Series - Utah Grizzlies
- Reign Sweep Grizzlies and Head to Second Round - Ontario Reign
- Beskorowany, Steelheads Edge Eagles, 1-0 - Idaho Steelheads
- 5-on-3 Goal Nips Eagles in 1-0, Game 3 Loss Colorado suffers first home shutout in 10 playoff season - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.