Seventh Inning Dooms 'Tees in 6-2 Loss to Yanks
VIERA, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees couldn't manage to sweep Saturday's doubleheader as the Tampa Yankees rallied for four runs in the top of the seventh to emerge with a 6-2 victory at Space Coast Stadium.
Manatees' closer Tanner Poppe, who came into today with a spotless ERA of 0.00, struggled for the first time in 2014. With the score deadlocked at two, Yankees' second baseman Angelo Gumbs lined a single to center to lead-off the inning and first baseman Reymond Nunez followed by drawing a seven-pitch walk.
With one out, Jake Cave - who was 0-for-3 at that point in the game - smoked a 2-1 pitch into deep right-center field. The ball sailed way over the head of Tyrone Taylor as both Gumbs and Nunez raced home to give Tampa a 4-2 lead.
Tampa (15-13) was not done, however. With two outs, Eric Jagielo hammered a pitch well over the right field wall for his second home run of the doubleheader, his sixth of the year, to put the Yankees up comfortably, 6-2.
The Manatees (15-13) did have their fair share of opportunities at the plate as the team left nine runners on base in the seven-inning ballgame. In the bottom of the sixth, the 'Tees had runners at second and third with one out, as well as the bases loaded and two outs. Yankees' reliever Zach Woods, who would go on to pick up his first victory of the season, was able to get out of the jam and keep the game tied.
Brevard County did grab the early lead as they jumped out in front 2-0 in the bottom of the second inning. Garrett Cooper, who had missed eight days with a left elbow injury, stepped up to the plate against Yankees starter Dan Camarena (1-3, 3.34) to lead off the frame. The first pitch that Cooper saw landed well over the right-center field wall for his second homer of the season to put the Manatees up 1-0.
Brevard would rally for another run in the inning as a bunt single and a wild pitch moved Brandon Macias to second base with two outs. Taylor then slapped an offering from Camarena into center to score Macias and put the 'Tees up by two.
Those were the only two runs the left-hander would surrender on the evening, as Camarena allowed seven hits while walking two and striking out four over five innings.
Tampa would tie the game in the top of the fourth inning off Manatees' starter Jed Bradley (3-1, 3.34). Dante Bichette, Jr. blasted the first pitch of the inning to deep center field, well over the 404 foot sign, for his second home run of the doubleheader and his third of the year to pull the Yankees within a run. Peter O'Brien followed with a double and would score to tie the game on a RBI single by Nunez.
Bradley, who picked up his second straight no-decision, was impressive once again. Over six innings over work, he allowed those two runs on seven hits and struck out six without walking a batter.
The Manatees will continue their homestand as the Clearwater Threshers (5-21) come to Viera to begin a three-game series on Sunday evening at 5:05 p.m.
Right-hander Jorge Lopez (2-2, 4.50) will look to pick up his second straight victory against the Threshers. Clearwater will call upon left-hander Ethan Stewart (1-2, 3.18), who surrendered eight runs against the Manatees in Brevard County's 20-0 win over the Threshers, this past Tuesday.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 4, 2014
- Roache Goes Deep Thrice in 11-5 Win over Threshers - Brevard County Manatees
- Mets Jump on Crabs Early, Cruise to 5-0 Win - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders Down Miracle, 4-2, in Series Opener - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Down Stone Crabs 5-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Gonzales Leads Cardinals to Fourth Straight Win - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Byron Buxton off the DL, Joins Miracle - Fort Myers Miracle
- Flying Tigers Return Home Thursday for Education Day #2 - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Seventh Inning Dooms 'Tees in 6-2 Loss to Yanks - Brevard County Manatees
- Stone Crabs Sweep Hammerheads with Doubleheader Victory - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Big First Inning Propels Cards to Series Sweep - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Mets Split Doubleheader with Marauders, Take Series - St. Lucie Mets
- Brevard Tops Tampa 7-4, in Completion of Suspended Game - Brevard County Manatees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.