Sean Morris Scores Game-Winning Goal in Double Overtime in Boston Victory over Orlando
Boston, MA - The Boston Blazers traveled to the Amway Arena Saturday night to take on the Orlando Titans for their second consecutive road game. Before a crowd of over 8,00 fans, Boston battled two overtimes to pull out a 12-11 victory over the Titans. Sean Morris scored the game-winning goal just one minute into double overtime.
Orlando scored their first goal of the evening at the 3:24 mark by Jordan Hall but the Blazers quickly countered with three straight goals by Greg Downing, Brenden Thenhaus, and Daryl Veltman. Casey Powell and Pat Maddelana would both score for Orlando to bring the score to 4-3 at the end of the first.
Brett Queener started the second quarter with an unassisted goal and Dan Dawson would score off an assist from goaltender Anthony Cosmo to keep the Blazers ahead 6-3 but Matt Alrich, Mike McLellan, and Ryan Boyle would put the Titans back in the game.
Boston led 7-6 to start the half but Chad Thompson scored at the 10:18 mark to quickly tie the game. Orlando went ahead for the second time in the evening at the 6:46 mark with a goal by Boyle but Veltman scored at the 3:15 mark to bring the score back to even at 8-8.
Hall brought the Titans ahead in the fourth quarter off an assist by Casey Powell but Veltman scored his second of the evening off an assist by Dawson. Down by two with just thirty seconds remaining in regulation, Queener brought the Blazers within one followed by a goal by Jamie Rooney with just one second remaining bringing the score to 11-11.
After an overturned goal in the first overtime by Dawson, the longest game in NLL history continued into a second overtime. With a huge swinging shot a minute into double overtime, Sean Morris scored the game-winning goal for Boston making the final 12-11.
Veltman led the Blazers with three goals and two assists and Dawson finished with one goal and five assists.
The Blazers return home next Saturday, February 27th to take on the Washington Stealth at the TD Garden at 7:30pm. For tickets, visit blazerslacrosse.com or call 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from February 20, 2010
- Mammoth offense sputters against Swarm - Colorado Mammoth
- All-around team performance gives the Swarm momentum and a playoff spot - Minnesota Swarm
- Sean Morris Scores Game-Winning Goal in Double Overtime in Boston Victory over Orlando - Boston Blazers
- Defense, Special Teams Reign Supreme In 'Hawks Win - Rochester Knighthawks
- Rochester Powers Past Wings 12-6 - Philadelphia Wings
- Washington Stealth First Half Too Much Too Overcome Against Calgary - Washington Stealth
- Roughnecks Dominate Stealth 13-9 Friday - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals