Sea Dogs Sign Defenceman Kale McCallum
The Saint John Sea Dogs announced today the signing of 17-year-old defenceman Kale McCallum.
A native of Quispamsis, NB, McCallum was drafted to the Sea Dogs 133rd overall in the eighth round of the 2018 QMJHL Entry Draft. Fans will remember Kale from his time with the Saint John Vito's Midget AAA team where he finished his rookie season in 2018 with seven goals and 22 assists for 29 points in 33 games. His points per game total during that season was the second highest points per game for a 15-year-old defenceman in NBPEIMMHL history behind only fellow New Brunswicker, Lukas Cormier.
"This is a special signing for the Sea Dogs. Kale is a very smart, talented, and mobile defenceman. He is a multi-sport athlete who gives us another quality 17-year-old blueliner to join our 2002-born nucleus (Villeneuve, Poirier, Desroches, Lehmus)," said Sea Dogs President & General Manager Trevor Georgie. "He grew up watching the Sea Dogs and his family have been Season Ticket Holders for many years. He wants to be part of what is being built right here in his backyard and win a President Cup and Memorial Cup one day. He will help us do that."
Kale has had an impressive start to training camp and the 5'11" defenceman is excited to join the hometown team he grew up admiring.
"It's just a dream come true to play for a team I grew up watching. This is where my hockey career started and I'm just so happy that I can play here in my hometown for such a great organization. It's very exciting the direction that the team is heading in, along with all the success they have had in years past and years to come."
McCallum played the 2018-19 season with Rothesay Netherwood School where he finished with two goals, six assists for eight points in 18 games.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Wildcats vs. Titan Gets Pre-Season Action Started - Moncton Wildcats
- Sea Dogs Open Pre-Season with Win over Islanders - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Sign Defenceman Kale McCallum - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Training Camp Update - August 18th, 2019 - Charlottetown Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- Eagles Edge Dogs 3-2 in Final Pre-Season Game
- Sea Dogs Thrash Islanders 7-2 in Pre-Season Play
- 31 Thoughts Podcast Live at Rocky's Sports Bar
- Matt Gould Decommits from Providence College, Signs with Sea Dogs
- TD and Saint John Sea Dogs Announce New Name for Arena