Scott Shuts Out Oil Kings In Game 1
Prince Albert, SK - Ian Scott stopped 26 shots to backstop the Prince Albert Raiders to a 1-0 win over the Edmonton Oil Kings in Game 1 of the 2019 Eastern Conference Championship on Friday at the Art Hauser Centre.
It was Scott's second shutout of the 2019 WHL Playoffs, giving the Raiders a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.
In the first, the Raiders outshot the Oil Kings 10-7. One of the best chances of the period came when Parker Kelly and Ozzy Wiesblatt entered Edmonton's zone on a two-on-one rush. Kelly tried to slide the puck over to Wiesblatt, but Dylan Myskiw chipped the puck away from Wiesblatt and just past a trailing Aliaksei Protas.
The Raiders broke through early in the second period. As Wiesblatt made his move to skate behind the net, he threw a puck in front hoping to find Brayden Pachal. Oil Kings defenceman Wyatt McLeod batted the puck into his own goal to put the Raiders up 1-0 1:48 into the frame. Wiesblatt was credited with the goal for his fourth of the WHL Playoffs.
Later in the frame, Brett Leason got behind the defence on a partial shorthanded breakaway. He was able to get a shot on Myskiw, but the Oil Kings netminder deflected it over the net.
The Raiders' best chance to increase their lead in the second period came from the stick of Sean Montgomery. He pounced on a turnover at the side of the goal and was left alone in front of the net, but Myskiw stopped his backhand attempt. The puck was still loose in the crease, but Protas wasn't able to lift it over Myskiw's pad.
The Oil Kings upped the pressure in the third period, but Scott was able to keep them at bay. The Toronto Maple Leafs prospect made 11 saves in the frame, which was his busiest of the game.
At the other end, Myskiw allowed just the one goal on 24 shots in a losing effort.
The two teams meet again on Saturday night for Game 2 of the 2019 Eastern Conference Championship on Saturday night at the Art Hauser Centre. Puck drop is 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Giants Draw First Blood in WHL Western Conference Championship Series - Vancouver Giants
- Chiefs Drop Western Conference Championship Opener, 4-1 - Spokane Chiefs
- Scott Shuts Out Oil Kings In Game 1 - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Raiders Drop Shootout to Rebels in Red Deer
- Raiders Come Back For Overtime Win In Edmonton
- Raiders Unveil WHL Suits up to Promote Organ Donation Presented by RE/MAX Sweaters
- Four Raiders Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Raiders Get Point in Shootout Loss to Oil Kings