Schaafsma's Two Goals Not Enough To Beat Port Huron
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals played host to Port Huron for the second time in as many games Wednesday night, and for the second time the Generals were able to fend them off, skating away with a this time it was the IceHawks that came out on top and headed back to Port Huron with a 4-3 win.
The IceHawks scored early with a shot by Nick Lindberg from the top of the circle beating Rob Nolan glove side just .41 seconds into play. Jamie Schaafsma tied things up when he snuck behind the IceHawks defense and took a pass from John Mori for the breakaway and beat Adam Russo high. Port Huron regained the lead with a power play goal from Mickael Bedard at 13:31 to round out the scoring for the opening period.
Second period action saw with quite a few chances for the Generals but Port Huron made it a 3-1 game on a scramble play in front of the net with former Michigan Wolverine Brandon Kaleniecki getting the score. Shortly after Nolan made a great glove save while the Generals were on the penalty kill, Brandon Naurato found the back of the net for the fourth IceHawks goal.
Flint came out stronger in the third period. Schaafsma scored his second of the net six minutes into the period, tapping in the rebound of a Bryan Smolinski wraparound attempt. John Ronan pulled the Gens within one just past the halfway mark for his 23rd goal of the season but Russo held his ground against the Generals onslaught to give Port Huron the two points.
The Gens went 0 of 6 on the power play and gave up 2 pp goals to the Hawks. Rob Nolan stopped 38 of 42 shots faced through 59:06 minutes of play.
Action for the Generals resumes Saturday at Perani Arena when they welcome the Fort Wayne Komets to town for Flint City Pride Night and a 7:30PM faceoff. Tickets for Saturday's game are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from March 3, 2010
- Muskegon Downs Mallards 7-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Schaafsma's Two Goals Not Enough To Beat Port Huron - Flint Generals
- Gems Denied By Komets 4-2 - Dayton Gems
- Icehawks Head To Flint Tonight To Kick Off Three Game Week - Port Huron Icehawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals