San Juan Unified Students to Receive Distance Learning Assist from Micron Technologies and Republic FC
Sacramento, Calif. - With an assist from the Sacramento Republic FC Foundation, San Juan Education Foundation has been selected to receive a $50,000 grant from Micron Technology to provide San Juan Unified students with broadband solutions to alleviate barriers to distance learning. The San Juan Unified School District will work with Micron's COVID Task Force to deliver solutions to students.
Micron Technologies, a global industry leader in innovative memory and storage solutions, is a long standing member of the Sacramento area community with a campus in Folsom. Through the Micron Foundation, the company supports educators and students in the communities where employees live and work.
"The COVID-19 pandemic has changed education, requiring students, staff and the whole community to engage in learning in new ways," said San Juan Unified Board of Education President Paula Villescaz. "With the support of amazing community partners, we're working every day to meet the challenges that have been created like closing the digital divide by ensuring each of our students has access to devices and internet connectivity."
"Micron's generous gift will help San Juan Unified overcome digital education barriers, especially new challenges that are directly connected to distance learning," said San Juan Education Foundation Board Chair Bryan McKrell. "We are grateful to community partners like Republic FC for their ongoing support of our schools and students."
"Starting the school year with remote learning and school closures has been difficult for many families in Sacramento, and we are determined to provide resources to those who need it most," said Kris Baxter, corporate vice president and general manager of the Embedded Business Unit at Micron. "At the Micron Foundation, we are always looking for ways to enrich the learning experience, and this grant will help provide our local students and teachers with the necessary equipment to keep the school year moving ahead during this challenging time."
"A huge thank you to Micron for stepping up and working alongside us to support the students and teachers in the San Juan Unified School District," said Republic FC President and COO Ben Gumpert. "I am a proud SJUSD grad myself, but know that the challenges students and teachers are facing today are greater than ever before. This grant will enable investments to create a better and more successful distance learning environment."
Beginning with the students in the Arden-Arcade region, the grant will help bridge the digital divide, especially as students are adapting to virtual learning environments during the continued impacts of the global pandemic. For example, with more than 97 percent of Greer Elementary families qualifying for the free and reduced lunch program, staying connected to the internet with traditional commercial services can be a challenge for students at Greer Elementary. With help from Micron Technology and Republic FC, even more families will benefit from wireless hotspots and other connectivity solutions.
Next Wednesday, October 14 at 8:30 a.m., representatives from Republic FC, Micron, San Juan Unified School District, and the San Juan Education Foundation will present the administrators from Greer Elementary with the grant during the school's October supplies pick-up event.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 12, 2020
- Three Takeaways from #PHXvSAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project - North Carolina FC
- San Juan Unified Students to Receive Distance Learning Assist from Micron Technologies and Republic FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Charlotte Independence Season Comes to a Close in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal - Charlotte Independence
- Semifinals Set for Rivalry Matchups After Dramatic Weekend in Championship Playoffs - USL
- CJ Cochran Loaned to MLS's Nashville SC - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Wheeler-Omiunu Bringing Some Bite to SRFC Midfield
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Showcasing Great Slate of Soccer
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense