San Antonio FC Signs SAFC Pro Academy Standout Leo Torres to Professional Contract
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC signed SAFC Pro Academy midfielder Leo Torres to a professional contract, the club announced today. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. Torres is the first full-time SAFC Pro Academy player to sign with the first team, and the youngest professional signing in USL Championship history -- at 15 years, 23 days.
Torres will continue to play with the SAFC Pro Academy U-15 team through the end of the 2018-19 Development Academy season this summer, after which he will begin to integrate with the first team. The San Antonio native has recorded 18 goals in 36 games for the academy since the program joined the DA prior to the 2017-18 season.
"We're very proud to have Leo as the first full-time academy player to sign with the first team," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "This is a wonderful opportunity for him to take the next steps as we look to integrate him into the squad while he keeps evolving, working hard, and showing good character."
Torres originally joined the SAFC Pro Academy ahead of its 2016 inaugural year and was part of the initial squad that the program fielded (birth year 2004). Throughout his time with the SAFC Pro Academy, Torres has been called up to U.S. Youth National Team camp on two occasions, most recently receiving a callup to the U-15 camp in Carson, Calif. in late January. Torres is one of three players from San Antonio to be called up along with academy teammates Rocky Perez and Jaime Terrazas.
"We're thrilled for Leo," SAFC Pro Academy Director Nick Evans said. "This is a reflection of his hard work as well as the defined pathway that we have in place here for youth players throughout the club. We're committed to our process and identity, and we're proud to have local players representing this club and city."
"I'm excited and honored to play for this club," Torres said. "I would like to thank all of my academy coaches, the first team staff and the entire organization for this opportunity. I'm thrilled to be the first academy player to sign with the first team, and I look forward to continuing to progress while representing my city."
The SAFC Pro Academy is a fully-funded program dedicated to identifying and training players in the greater San Antonio area to provide them with a pathway to the SAFC first team, national teams, and/or collegiate soccer. The Academy currently fields four age group teams that compete in the Development Academy, the highest tier of youth soccer in the United States.
San Antonio FC is preparing for the upcoming USL season, and fans can purchase 2019 season tickets by calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC), Instagram (@sanantoniofc) and Snapchat (SanAntonioFC).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 14, 2019
- San Antonio FC Signs SAFC Pro Academy Standout Leo Torres to Professional Contract - San Antonio FC
- Preview: Lights FC vs Colorado Rapids - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Signs RSL Academy Duo Jordan Pena and Steve Jasso - Real Monarchs SLC
- New Mexico United Signs 2017 USL Rookie of the Year Chris Wehan - New Mexico United
- STLFC Away at Loudoun United FC Rescheduled - Saint Louis FC
- Adidas Named Club's Official On-Field Performance Apparel Provider - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale this Week - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Moises Hernandez on Loan from FC Dallas
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-3 to Portland Timbers 2 at Home
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Billy Forbes Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field
- San Antonio FC Introduces Fan Friendly Concession Pricing