San Antonio FC Signs Defender Mitchell Taintor
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has signed defender Mitchell Taintor for the 2020 USL Championship season pending league and federation approval, the team announced today. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"As a staff, we are excited to welcome Mitchell Taintor to the SAFC family," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Mitchell is an experienced USL defender with great on-field communication. His characteristics as a person and player match our team's culture and strategy."
Taintor joins SAFC after spending the previous two seasons with the Sacramento Republic in the USL Championship. In 2019, Taintor appeared in 31 matches combined between the regular season and playoffs, making 28 starts and recording 2,561 minutes played. The 25-year-old added two goals and two assists to go along with a team-leading 115 clearances and 86 aerial duels won. Overall in his two seasons with the Republic, Taintor made 64 appearances (61 starts) between the regular season and playoffs, amassing 5,373 minutes played while adding three goals, three assists, 258 clearances and 146 duels won.
In 2018, Taintor was also loaned to MLS side Toronto FC for one game where he started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal on his debut in a match against the Houston Dynamo.
"I'm very excited," said Taintor. "The opportunity came up, and I'm excited that this is the city and club that wanted to have me. This has always been one of my favorite places to play while I was in Sacramento. It's a great group, I believe in what is going on here and I'm looking forward to a good year."
Originally drafted by Toronto FC in the third round (59th overall) of the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, Taintor signed with Toronto's USL Championship affiliate where he made 47 appearances in two seasons from 2016-17. The Connecticut native was the club captain for Toronto FC II in 2017 and scored three goals for the Canadian side over the course of his time there.
Taintor attended Rutgers University and played collegiate soccer from 2012-15, making 73 appearances for the Scarlet Knights. From his time in college, the defender earned NSCAA Second Team All-Midwest Region and Second Team All-Big Ten Conference honors. While in college, Taintor played with USL League Two Sides Real Boston Rams and the Ocean City Nor'easters. The centerback is a product of the New England Revolution's academy system.
Taintor will wear No. 20 for SAFC.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL Championship season, and fans can purchase 2020 single-game or season tickets by calling or texting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook (@SAFCUSL), as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 19, 2020
- FC Tulsa Plays to Draw in Preseason Scrimmage against Oral Roberts University - FC Tulsa
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Midfielder Jesus Perez - Tacoma Defiance
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Mitchell Taintor - San Antonio FC
- 901 FC Signs Former Premier League Midfielder - Memphis 901 FC
- New Mexico United Announces 'Theme Nights' for the 2020 Season - New Mexico United
- Hounds Tie University of Pittsburgh, 1-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Republic FC, New Glory Craft Brewery Select Local Artist Design for Fan Collaboration - Sacramento Republic FC
- 901 FC Home Opener on Sale Now - Memphis 901 FC
- Battery Add USL Championship Experience with Signing of Rennico Clarke - Charleston Battery
- Orange County SC Signs 2016 USL MVP Sean "Ugo" Okoli - Orange County SC
- Game Day: LouCity Takes on Union Omaha Today at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Statement from San Antonio FC Managing Director Tim Holt
- San Antonio FC Earns 1-0 Victory over Reigning Champions Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Hosts USL Championship Title Holders in Season Opener
- San Antonio FC Signs Goalkeeper Carlos Mercado
- San Antonio FC Announces Fox Sports Southwest Schedule for 2020 Season