San Antonio FC Draws New Mexico United 1-1
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC drew New Mexico United tonight 1-1, moving the club to 20-5-4 with a league-leading 64 points.
For the second match in a row, forward Ignacio Bailone scored the opening goal to make it 1-0 San Antonio. Bailone's goal tonight came off an assist from Cristian Parano. The goal is Bailone's fourth on the season, and comes in his second start of the season.
New Mexico leveled the score in the 66th minute with a goal from Chris Wehan to make it 1-1.
SAFC faces a quick turnaround, hosting Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. CT from Toyota Field. Tickets are available now at SanAntonioFC.com or the SAFC app, and the match will be broadcast on ESPN+ as well as Bally Sports Southwest Extra.
SAFC: 1-0, Ignacio Bailone (Assisted by Cristian Parano) 54'
NM: 1-1, Chris Wehan (Assisted by Austin Yearwood) 67'
NM: Yellow Card (Justin Portillo) 20'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Carter Manley) 69'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Samuel Adeniran) 71'
NM: Yellow Card (Kevaughn Frater) 74'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Jordan Farr; D: Shannon Gomez, Carter Manley, Jasser Khmiri, Mitchell Taintor, Connor Maloney; M: PC (captain), Cristian Parano (Elliot Collier 62'), Mohammed Abu; F: Ignacio Bailone (Jack Lynn 62'), Samuel Adeniran
Substitutions not used: Grant Makela, Ates Diouf, Deshane Beckford, Nicky Hernandez, Jordy Delem
SAFC moves to 20-5-4 on the season with 64 points, leading the USL Championship.
Ignacio Bailone's goal in the 54th minute was his fourth of the season for SAFC, and marked the second-straight match with a goal by the Argentine.
Cristian Parano assisted on Bailone's goal, his second assist of the season despite appearing in just five matches.
Forward Jack Lynn made his SAFC debut, subbing on in the 62nd minute.
SAFC moves to 18-0-1 when scoring first this season, and 20-0-4 when scoring.
Head Coach Alen Marcina
(On the win...)
"Disappointed, we didn't get three points. The pressing actions were fantastic.
We expected them to sit back, which they did. They were playing for a draw or to catch us on a set piece, or potentially in transition. The run of play ... they didn't hurt us. We were strong, our passing actions good; organized. We scored a nice goal to go up. We made one error on their goal, we expected to be man to man in the box, we weren't, and we allowed a talented guy like [Chris] Wehan free, and that's on us. So, we learn from that, take the point and remain in first place."
Defender Mitchell Taintor
(On the team's offensive form...)
"I think our strikers have been phenomenal all year, I mean Sam[uel Adeniran]'s come in midyear and he's got nine goals, Justin [Dhillon]'s got seven goals and seven assists, Nacho's got four or five goals, I've got five goals. There are a lot of guys that are contributing. You get a lot of chances in games sometimes but you can't expect to put them all away and win nine nothing. That's just not the reality of it. Obviously we'd like to put more of them away, but it just happens like that sometimes. We can't expect the strikers to score every shot and be 100% on that. Obviously I hope more go in than not, but you can't really fault them for missing some opportunities."
Defender Connor Maloney
(On the advantages of a short turnaround...)
"I think the beautiful thing is that we don't have to wait, you know, a week for another game. Which is great. Guys are buzzing right now to get back on the field, because we felt like we had more left and we felt like should have gotten three points, but we didn't. So it's another opportunity to get those three points, and hopefully solidify first place in the west."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2022
- El Paso Locomotive FC Topple LA Galaxy II on the Road 3-2 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- LA Galaxy II Loses to El Paso Locomotive FC 3-2 - LA Galaxy II
- Republic Crush Orange County SC, 4-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Topples Indy Eleven with Club Record Five Goals in Shutout Victory - Monterey Bay FC
- SD Loyal Clinches Playoff Berth with 3-0 Win against Phoenix Rising FC - San Diego Loyal
- Miami FC Clinches a Spot in the 2022 USL Championship Playoffs - Miami FC
- Oakland Roots Takes Down Red Bulls Ii In Front Of A Sold Out Laney College Crowd - Oakland Roots
- USL Championship: Monterey Bay 5 : 0 Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Rising Falls, 3-0, in San Diego - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Draws New Mexico United 1-1 - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Connor Maloney to Multi-Year Extension
- San Antonio FC to Host Championship Celebration Tomorrow at 5:00 p.m.
- San Antonio FC Wins USL Championship Final for First Time in Club History
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC v LOU
- San Antonio FC Defender Mitchell Taintor Named USL Championship Defender of the Year