Rising Falls, 3-0, in San Diego
SAN DIEGO, California (Saturday, September 17) - Phoenix Rising FC fell, 3-0, to San Diego Loyal SC tonight at Torero Stadium.
Rising began the night on the front foot when Santi Moar switched the play from Rising's right flank to its left in the 24th minute of the match. The cross created the best opportunity of the half for either side. Arturo Rodriguez received the pass and got off a shot that deflected off a Loyal SC defender but forced a save out at goalkeeper Koke Vegas. The rebound fell to JJ Williams but a San Diego defender put in a desperate challenge at the last moment pushed the forward into sending his shot wide of the target.
Loyal SC's best chance came in the 42nd minute when a low cross played in from the right side skipped around the area and ended up on the feet of San Diego's Tumi Moshobane in front of goal. Moshobane could only get the slightest of touches on the shot, directing it towards the back post, but Rising goalkeeper Ben Lundt was in position to make a diving save to his right side to preserve the shutout heading into halftime.
San Diego took a 1-0 lead in the 54th minute when a free kick from the center of the field was sent wide to the left side. Moshobane was there to send a curling cross to the back post that eluded Lundt and found the head of Evan Conway, who headed in a close-range shot.
Loyal SC took a 2-0 lead in the 64th minute when a half-cleared ball was hammered on goal by Andrew Carleton. The line-drive shot smacked off the crossbar and shot straight up into the sky before falling back down to San Diego forward Kyle Vassell on the goal line. Vassell chested the ball into the net for his 13th goal of the season.
San Diego was awarded a penalty kick in the 77th minute. Lundt dove to push the attempt from Alejandro Guido off the bar and also saved the follow up attempt from Vassell. The ensuing corner proved more dangerous when Jack Blake connected with Jackson Kasanzu to make it 3-0 with another headed goal scored at the back post.
SD - Evan Conway (Tumi Moshobane) 54
SD - Kyle Vassell 64
SD - Jackson Kasanzu (Jack Blake) 77
SD - Kyle Vassell (caution) 21
SD - Jack Blake (caution) 27
SD - Elijah Martin (caution) 40
PHX - Darnell King (caution) 45
PHX - Luis Seijas (caution) 63
PHX - JJ Williams (ejection) 68
PHX - Baboucarr Njie (caution) 71
PHX - James Musa (caution) 75
SD - Jackson Kasanzu (caution) 80
SD - Andrew Calreton (caution) 84
PHX - Greg Hurst (caution) 90+1
Phoenix Rising FC - Ben Lundt, Hayden Sargis, Kevon Lambert, James Musa, Baboucar Njie, Darnell King (Joey Calistri 80), Luis Seijas (Carlos Anguiano 81), Aodhan Quinn (Marcus Ferkranus 85), Santi Moar (Greg Hurst 79), Arturo Rodriguez (Richmond Antwi 81), JJ Williams.
Substitutes Not Used: Lalo Delgado, Lamin Jawneh.
San Diego Loyal - Koke Vegas, Alejandro Guido (Morgan Hackworth 86), Grant Stoneman, Jackson Kasanzu, Elijah Martin, Kyle Adams, Kyle Vassell (Thomas Amang 79), Evan Conway (Jack Metcalf 79), Tumi Moshobane, Jack Blake (Cam Riley 79), Collin Martin (Andrew Carlelton 59).
Substitutes Not Used: Duran Ferree.
Images from this story
Phoenix Rising's Darnell King on the field
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2022
- El Paso Locomotive FC Topple LA Galaxy II on the Road 3-2 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- LA Galaxy II Loses to El Paso Locomotive FC 3-2 - LA Galaxy II
- Republic Crush Orange County SC, 4-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Topples Indy Eleven with Club Record Five Goals in Shutout Victory - Monterey Bay FC
- SD Loyal Clinches Playoff Berth with 3-0 Win against Phoenix Rising FC - San Diego Loyal
- Miami FC Clinches a Spot in the 2022 USL Championship Playoffs - Miami FC
- Oakland Roots Takes Down Red Bulls Ii In Front Of A Sold Out Laney College Crowd - Oakland Roots
- USL Championship: Monterey Bay 5 : 0 Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Rising Falls, 3-0, in San Diego - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Draws New Mexico United 1-1 - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Former LAFC Forward Danny Trejo
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Three-Year Broadcast Deal with Arizona's Family
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Three-Time Canadian Premier League Champion Defender Daniel Krutzen
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Former Atlanta United Goalkeeper Rocco Ríos Novo
- Phoenix Rising Announces Preseason Schedule