Republic Crush Orange County SC, 4-0
Sacramento, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC cruised to their second straight dominating win Sunday afternoon at Heart Health Park, besting defending league champion Orange County SC 4-0. The win inches the club closer to clinching a playoff berth, and climbing another spot in the Western Conference table with just five matches to play.
For the second straight match, Sacramento controlled the match with relentless pressure in the attacking half. Three different players found the net as Republic FC logged their second straight victory, and the backline kept pressure away for the club's 13th clean sheet across all competitions to set a new club record.
Two of Sacramento's goals came off the feet of Maalique Foster for his second career brace. The Jamaican found net first in the 28th minute, and again in first-half stoppage time. Foster could have come away with three, but a 17th minute shot after chasing down a well-placed through pass from Jack Gurr was stopped by the goalkeeper. He finished with a match-high 6 shots before being lifted in the 75th minute for Luther Archimede.
Days after being named the league's player of the month for August, Rodrigo Lopez tallied a goal and assist apiece. Sacramento's captain netted his fifth goal of the season from distance after catching Orange County's goalkeeper out of position, before assisting Foster's first score of the day just ten minutes later.
Orange County SC finished the match with 10 men after captain Michael Orozco was shown a red card for taking down Maalique Foster just outside the penalty area in the 35th minute. The club nearly found net on the ensuing free kick, but Jack Gurr's attempt off the volley went just a hair wide of the target.
After consecutive home matches, Republic FC hit the road next Saturday, September 24 against Western Conference leader San Antonio FC. Kickoff from Toyota Field is set for 5:30 p.m. PT, and the contest will be broadcast live on Antenna TV 40.2, FOX40.com and the FOX40 News mobile app, and streaming on ESPN+. The club will return home the following Wednesday, September 28 for their final match of the season against Phoenix Rising FC.
Sacramento Republic FC 4 - 0 Orange County SC
Heart Health Park, Sacramento, California
September 18, 2022
Scoring Summary: SAC - Damia Viader (Keko Gontan) 7', Rodrigo Lopez (Keko Gontan) 18', Maalique Foster (Rodrigo Lopez) 28', Maalique Foster (Damia Viader) 45+2' OC - None
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Maalique Foster (caution) 10', OC - Ian Hoffman (caution) 31', Michael Orozco (ejection) 35', Kevin Partida (caution) 87'
Sacramento Republic FC: Danny Vitiello, Dan Casey (Tiago Suarez 69'), Conor Donovan, Duke Lacroix, Damia Viader, Jack Gurr (Ferrety Sousa 69'), Nick Ross, Matt LaGrassa, Rodrigo Lopez (C (Emil Cuello 69'), Keko Gontan (Deshorn Brown 75'), Maalique Foster (Luther Archimede 75')
Unused substitutes: Carlos Saldaña, Douglas Martinez
Stats - Shots: ----21, Shots on Goal: 12, Saves: 2, Fouls: 10, Corner Kicks: 8, Offsides: 5
Loudoun United FC: Patrick Rakovsky, Ian Hoffman, Danny Pedersen (Tommy McCabe 70'), Albi Skendi, Michael Orozco (C), Alex Villanueva, Dillon Powers, Seth Casiple (Nico Ruiz 70'), Brian Iloski (Kevin Partida 45'), Sean Okoli (Brent Richards 45'), Milan Iloski (Erick Torres 75')
Unused substitutes: Colin Shutler, Tony Rocha
Stats - Shots: ----6, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 7, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 2, Offsides: 1
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2022
- El Paso Locomotive FC Topple LA Galaxy II on the Road 3-2 - El Paso Locomotive FC
- LA Galaxy II Loses to El Paso Locomotive FC 3-2 - LA Galaxy II
- Republic Crush Orange County SC, 4-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Topples Indy Eleven with Club Record Five Goals in Shutout Victory - Monterey Bay FC
- SD Loyal Clinches Playoff Berth with 3-0 Win against Phoenix Rising FC - San Diego Loyal
- Miami FC Clinches a Spot in the 2022 USL Championship Playoffs - Miami FC
- Oakland Roots Takes Down Red Bulls Ii In Front Of A Sold Out Laney College Crowd - Oakland Roots
- USL Championship: Monterey Bay 5 : 0 Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Rising Falls, 3-0, in San Diego - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Draws New Mexico United 1-1 - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Long-Term Republic FC Physical Therapist and Athletic Trainer Join First Team in Full-Time Roles
- Ready for 2023: Outside Backs Create a Threat on Both Ends
- Ready for 2023: Center Back Position Home to Strong Leaders, New Faces
- Ready for 2023: Goalkeeping Duo a Strength for Sacramento
- Republic FC Adds Midfielder Arnold López to Midfield