San Antonio FC Defender Greg Cochrane Announces Retirement
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC defender Greg Cochrane has announced his retirement after a six-year professional career in which he made 142 appearances for four different clubs. Cochrane joined San Antonio FC prior to the 2016 season and is the all-time appearances leader for the club, making 102 in all competitions over three seasons.
"Soccer has been my life for as long as I can remember," said Cochrane. "To play for six seasons and fulfill my childhood dream is a true blessing. I would like to thank my family for their support and sacrifices, my teammates for the laughs and competition, my coaches for the lessons, the front offices and support staffs for their daily work, and the fans for their endless support. While I close the chapter on my playing career, I'm excited and energized about the future."
Overall in his three seasons with San Antonio FC, Cochrane became the first SAFC player to reach 100 appearances, while leading the club with 8,970 minutes played in all competitions. In total, Cochrane missed just four matches since joining the Alamo City club, while starting and playing 90 minutes in 87 of his 93 USL appearances. Cochrane's 8,970 minutes played is 93.1 percent of all 9,630 San Antonio FC minutes since the club's inception in 2016.
Cochrane was on the field for 25 of San Antonio's 27 total clean sheets in USL play, while helping lead SAFC to the second-longest shutout streak in USL history (672 minutes) from April 25-June 17, 2017. He was a part of the league's best defense in 2017 after San Antonio conceded a league-low 24 goals and recorded a league-high 15 shutouts during that campaign. The 28-year-old's eight assists for SAFC are tied for second all-time on the club and rank first by a defender.
"We're really pleased for Greg and his family on their opportunity as he starts his post-soccer career," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "He's truly earned it through hard work every day. On behalf of everyone at San Antonio FC, we'd like to thank Greg for his effort over the last few years. He's been here from day one and has been consistently a good and energetic character on and off the field the entire time. We're excited for him to embark on this opportunity ahead, and I look forward to continuing the relationship for many years to come."
Cochrane was originally selected in the second round (38th overall) by the LA Galaxy in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. The defender went on to make 12 appearances for the club in the regular season and featured in the CONCACAF Champions League as well as the U.S. Open Cup for the decorated MLS franchise. Cochrane then spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons with the Chicago Fire (MLS), where he made 21 total appearances. At the collegiate level, Cochrane spent his last two years at the University of Louisville, where he tallied six goals and recorded five assists in 44 games for the Cardinals. He spent his freshman and sophomore years at Virginia Tech, where he scored two goals and notched eight assists in 38 matches.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from November 8, 2018
- Rio Grande Valley FC Forward Carlos Small Called up to Panamanian National Team - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Defender Greg Cochrane Announces Retirement - San Antonio FC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Midfielder Pablo Aguilar Called up to Guatemalan National Team | November 8 - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Dates Announced for December Open Tryouts - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Holding Tryouts - Memphis 901 FC
- Crepeau, Edgar Part of Canada Squad for November CONCACAF Nations League Qualifying Match - Ottawa Fury FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Johnny Fenwick and Midfielder Leeroy Maguraushe
- San Antonio FC Signs Goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Returns for 2019 Season
- San Antonio FC Adds Forward Jahir Barraza on Loan from FC Atlas
- San Antonio FC Announces 2019 Preseason Schedule