Salas and Gainey Added to FSL North All-Star Team
Daytona Beach, Fla. - The Florida State League announced on Tuesday that Brevard County right-handed pitchers Javi Salas and Preston Gainey were added to the North Division roster for the 2015 Florida State League All-Star Game at Tradition Field in St. Lucie on June 20.
Salas is 5-4 with a 2.60 ERA (19 ER/65.2 IP) in 11 games and 10 starts this season. In 65.2 innings pitched, the righty has surrendered just 62 hits, 18 walks and two home runs. He has struck out 45 and opponents are batting .246 against Salas.
Salas' best outing came in his only relief appearance on April 17 against Dunedin. After Jim Henderson threw a scoreless first inning, Salas tossed eight shutout frames to complete the shutout and collect the victory. He has won three of his last four starts and has allowed just three runs in 20.0 innings during the three victories.
Salas was selected by Milwaukee in the 10th round of the 2014 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Miami. He tossed a perfect game on 3/4/14 against Villanova University. It marked the second perfect game in program history (Kevin Sheary, 3/14/87) and just the 23rd perfect game in Division I history since 1957. His brother, Jorge, broadcasted the perfect game for WVUM, the student-run radio station. Salas' father, Raul, played football as a defensive end at Lafayette College.
Gainey is 2-2 with one save and a 1.05 ERA (3 ER/25.2 IP) in 16 relief appearances this season. He has not allowed more than one run in any appearance this year. Gainey did not allow his first earned run until May 16. Opponents are hitting .191 on the year against Gainey.
Gainey was a Midwest League midseason All-Star in 2014 as a member of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. He was selected by the Brewers in the 11th round of the 2012 First-Year Player Draft out of the United States Naval Academy.
Salas and Gainey are the fifth and sixth Manatees to be named All-Stars. Right-handed pitcher Jorge Ortega, second baseman Chris McFarland and outfielders Clint Coulter and Victor Roache were also selected to represent Brevard County in the FSL's 54th All-Star Game. Roache was promoted to Double-A Biloxi on Monday.
For more information on the Brevard County Manatees, call (321) 633-9200 or go online to ManateesBaseball.com. Also, don't forget to like the Manatees on Facebook and follow the Manatees both on Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 16, 2015
- Tocci Doubles in 5-3 Loss to Mets - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Score Three in the Ninth in Remarkable Walk-Off Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Herrera Stays Hot in Cardinals Victory - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Mets Jump out to Early Lead, Beat Threshers 5-2 - St. Lucie Mets
- Key Hits Elude Marauders - Bradenton Marauders
- Jose Fernandez Scheduled to Pitch against Manatees on Wednesday - Brevard County Manatees
- Salas and Gainey Added to FSL North All-Star Team - Brevard County Manatees
- Threshers Drop 13-Inning Affair, 3-2 - Clearwater Threshers
- Tortugas Bats Silenced Down the Stretch in Loss - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.