Rumble Ponies Sweep Patriots in Friday Doubleheader, Take First Four Games of Series
BRIDGEWATER, NJ - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (11-19, 39-60) swept both games of a doubleheader Friday against the Somerset Patriots (16-13, 60-39) at TD Bank Ballpark, taking the first four games of the series. They defeated Somerset 11-8 in the continuation of Friday's suspended game and doubled up the Patriots 10-5 in game two for their first sweep of a doubleheader this season. Binghamton is on a four-game winning streak, matching their season high.
Game Two: Rumble Ponies 10, Patriots 5 (7)
The Rumble Ponies were propelled by a seven-run sixth inning, as with the bases loaded they drew three walks, had one hitter hit by a pitch, with another run scored via a wild pitch. Down 4-3 entering the frame, Brett Baty hit an RBI single to right to tie the game and Luke Ritter hit a go-ahead single into center field that put Binghamton on top 5-4.
In the top of the fourth, Ronny Mauricio hit a mammoth three-run blast to right center field to give the Ponies a 3-1 lead. Mauricio now has twenty home runs on the year to go along with 65 RBI.
Antonio Santos (6-3) picked up the win pitching two scoreless innings in relief allowing one run with one walk and six strikeouts.
Game One: Rumble Ponies 11, Patriots 8
In a game that began Thursday night, the Rumble Ponies continued the suspended game on Friday afternoon and held on for the victory. Heading into Friday, the Rumble Ponies had already hit five home runs, including a pair of two-run homers from Brett Baty over the first two innings, his 17th and 18th of the year. Binghamton scored seven runs in the second inning, with Matt O'Neill also hitting a three-run homer and Brandon McIlwain belting a two-run shot to left. Luke Ritter added a solo home run to center to begin the third.
Tony Dibrell (1-0) made his 2022 Binghamton debut beginning the third inning and pitched three scoreless frames, allowing just two hits with one walk and four strikeouts.
POSTGAME NOTES: Brett Baty was named the July MiLB Player of the Month for the Eastern League...Ritter has driven in a run in four straight games...the Rumble Ponies had a seven-run inning in both games, which is a season high...Ritter has driven in a run in four straight games.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 5, 2022
- Baysox Extend Win Streak with Series Win over Harrisburg - Bowie Baysox
- Rumble Ponies Sweep Patriots in Friday Doubleheader, Take First Four Games of Series - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Rally in Eighth Inning for 3-2 Win over SeaWolves - Portland Sea Dogs
- Myers Homers But Late Walks Loom Large in Defeat - Erie SeaWolves
- R-Phils Top Yard Goats 2-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Squirrels Break Shutout in Ninth But Fall to Fisher Cats, 6-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Curve Outduel RubberDucks in Walk-Off 2-1 Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats' Noah Davis Pitches 8-Inning Complete Game - Hartford Yard Goats
- Subway Series Loss Result of Season-Long Skid - Somerset Patriots
- Curve Walk-Off 'Ducks in Wild Wet-Weather Affair - Altoona Curve
- Sens Home Runs Not Enough in 5-4 Loss - Harrisburg Senators
- Blue Jays Top Pitching Prospect Ricky Tiedemann Joins Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Somerset RHP Sean Boyle Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Month for July - Somerset Patriots
- Brett Baty Named MiLB Player of the Month for July - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- August 5, 2022 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Ponies Drop Series Finale to Curve on Sunday Afternoon
- Spiedies Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short on Saturday Night
- Ponies' Pitchers Shine in Shutout Win over Curve on Friday Night
- Ponies Battle Back But Fall Late to Curve on Thursday
- Ponies Fall at Home to Curve on Wednesday Evening