Royals Stunt Nailers
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals scored two goals in the first and tied for tops in the North Division with a 2-1 win over the Wheeling Nailers Wednesday at Santander Arena. Reading is 12-7-2-0, tied with Wheeling and Manchester at 26 points.
Nolan Zajac scored three minutes into the first, snapping a five-game scoring drought. Leading scorer Alex Krushelnyski (10 goals) tallied in the final three of the frame to jump Reading ahead by two. The Royals have scored the first goal in 16 games this season, the most of any ECHL team. Reading is 9-0-0-0 when leading after one.
Hunter Fejes recorded the Nailers' lone tally in the second.
Mark Dekanich (win) denied 26 shots and stopped all eight in the third. Adam Morrison lost with 29 denials.
Reading is on the road this Friday in Adirondack and Saturday at Manchester.
Zajac potted the opening goal in front of the net at 4-on-4 just 2:16 into the game. Ryan Penny swooped to the bottom of the left circle and tossed it to net front. Zajac darted five feet from the cage and slammed it home. He has five goals this season.
Krushelnyski struck next on the power play with 3:33 left in the first. Chris McCarthy shot it off the right post and a generous rebound found Krushelnyski all alone. He has points in three straight games (3g, 2a) since returning on loan from Lehigh Valley. Reading was 1-for-6 on the power play and denied all three Nailers chances.
The Royals outshot Wheeling, 15-5, in the second but yielded the frame's only goal. Fejes sniped a shot from the deep slot at 4:16 of the frame.
Reading hosts the Nailers again on Sat., Dec. 16 with the annual Teddy Bear Toss game and Ugly Sweater Jerseys. Plus, the first 2,000 fans receive a Royals Christmas ornament, presented by Met-Ed.
Santa Sacks Holiday Gift
Stuff the stocking with Santa Sacks! Get an autographed Royals puck and come out to three of our biggest games for just $30.
- Sat., Jan. 20 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Slapshot Star Wars bobblehead giveaway, THON Night, Star Wars jerseys)
- Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Pink in the Rink, knit scarf giveaway)
- Sat., Mar. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Yannick Tifu number retired, Meet WWE Million Dollar Man)
- Sat., Mar. 24 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kelly Cup Tribute puck giveaway, Autism Awareness jerseys)
- Sat., Apr. 7 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk (FANdemonium, fan appreciation, fan's choice giveaway)
- Call 610-898-PUCK and tickets are available here.
More $5 Tickets
The Royals are pleased to announce $5 tickets in the Green Zone to three upcoming games in December!
- Wed., Dec. 6 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Wheeling (postgame autographs) | Sun., Dec. 17 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Adirondack (dollar dogs and player photo) | Thurs., Dec. 28 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (special Flyers jerseys, aPHILLYation night)
- Call 610-898-PUCK (7825) and tickets are available here.
About the Royals
The Royals have been owned by serial entrepreneur Jack Gulati since 2014 and are in their 17th ECHL season. Proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Reading plays in the Santander Arena, located in downtown Reading, PA at 700 Penn Street. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs in eight straight seasons and are four-time division champions.
Reading Royals Mobile App
Head to the App Store and Google Play to download the new Reading Royals app on your smartphone! Stay up-to-date with team news, receive notifications and purchase tickets for your next experience at Santander Arena.
All Royals game can be heard on Rumba 1340 AM and the iHeartRadio app by searching "Rumba 1340". The pregame show starts 15 minutes before puck drop. Watch Royals games on ECHL.tv. Reading away games are shown locally on BCTV, channel 15 Comcast, channel 19 Service Electric.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 7, 2017
- Thunder Score Three Unanswered; Knock off Mavericks, 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Joly's Hat Trick Paces Colorado in 7-3 Win Over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Win Defensive Battle, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Stunt Nailers - Reading Royals
- Mallards Send Komm to Manchester - Quad City Mallards
- G John Muse Recalled, Matesevac Added as EBUG - Reading Royals
- Tiffels, Josephs, Prow, Stevens Join Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Acquire Bolton from Florida - Quad City Mallards
- Reading's Willows named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Royals Get D Nick Neville from South Carolina for F Matt Salhany - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.