Round Rock Express to Host Tribute to Boston Marathon Bombing
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express announced Monday their plans to host a tribute to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy prior to and during Friday's home game against the Albuquerque Isotopes.
Katie Carmona, a local Austinite, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Carmona was at the Boston Marathon, cheering on her husband Paul, when the first bomb went off, sending metal shrapnel into her shin.
In the middle of the seventh inning, a time normally reserved for fans to stand up and stretch, David Garza, Maria Groten and Matt Harmatuk, who ran in this year's Boston Marathon, will enter Dell Diamond through the center field gate and run towards the pitchers' mound to symbolically finish the race so many were unable to due to the tragic outcome. First responders will hold up the finish line tape as a tribute to the true heroes in each and every community across our great nation. Following "The Finish Line," Carmona will lead the crowd in a rendition of "God Bless America."
"Tragic events, like the ones that occurred during the Boston Marathon and just up the road in West, remind us not only of the courage and dedication of our first responders, but also how their quick action saves lives," said George King, general manager of the Express. "Wherever in the country a devastating event like this occurs, we all are called to do what we can to lend a hand when the time comes."
The Express is working with Conley Sports Productions and other local running groups on fundraising efforts to benefit The One Fund Boston. "This tribute is our way of honoring the thousands of people who trained and prepared for months, and some for years, to run in the Boston Marathon," said John Conley, race director for the Austin Marathon and Half Marathon. "We're proud to stand beside the entire Boston community as these runners symbolically finish the race."
All fans are encouraged to wear a race shirt and/or Boston sports gear to the game on Friday in honor of the victims and the city.
For more information on the Express, visit RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2013
- Big Fifth Inning Leads Isotopes to 8-1 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- E-Train's Rally Cut Short against Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Capitalize on Early Lead, Win 5-2 - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs Hold off Express, Win 6-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Routed by Storm Chasers, 12-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Tonight's Sky Sox Game Postponed - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express to Host Tribute to Boston Marathon Bombing - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: April 22, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- John Gast Wins PCL Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Pacific Coast League Names Players of the Week - PCL
- River Cats Drop Game Two to Aces, 10-8 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Stopped By Salt Lake, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.