Roughnecks Battle to 1-1 Draw in San Antonio
Tulsa Roughnecks F.C. picked up another away point Saturday night with a hard-fought 1-1 draw with San Antonio F.C. at Toyota Field. A first-half goal from San Antonio was offset by a tremendous strike from Joaquin Rivas early in the second half to give the two teams a split of the points.
Tulsa now has six points on the season with a 0-5-6 record, with four of the six draws coming away from ONEOK Field. The Roughnecks have drawn in four straight away matches and have only been beaten one time on the road this season.
San Antonio FC improved its point total to 14 with a 3-5-2 record.
The result marks the first time that TRFC has gotten a result in a regular season meeting with SAFC.
San Antonio took the lead just seven minutes into the match. A long delivery got behind TRFC right back Adrian Jusino and was crossed in front of goal by Greg Cochrane. When Nemanja Vukovic missed on his clearance attempt, Omar Gordon had an easy finish off the underside of the crossbar to give SAFC a 1-0.
Tulsa ' best chance at a first-half equalizer came in the 31st minute off a throw in. The ball eventually found Josh Morton in front of goal, but his right-footed volley was deflected out for a corner kick.
The Roughnecks were an entirely different side in the second half and dominated the early minutes of the half. Just after the restart, Michael Gamble had a dangerous chance when he dribbled around the keeper, but stumbled before he could get his shot off.
A header from Josh Morton off a free kick cross from Vukovic forced a save from the keeper.
The pressure finally paid off in the 51st minute when Gamble fed Joaquin Rivas in midfield. Rivas took a couple of touches before launching a 20-year rocket into the back of the net. For Rivas, it was his team-leading 5th goal of the season.
Both teams had chances to find a winner, but the strike from Rivas would prove to be the final goal of the match.
The Roughnecks will be back home next Saturday, May 26, for a Memorial Day Weekend edition of the Black Gold Derby as the OKC Energy will visit ONEOK Field. There will be a large holiday Fireworks Show following the match. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Tickets for the Memorial Day Weekend match, and any other home match this season, are available online, by calling (918) 744-5901 or by visiting the stadium ticket office.
San Antonio FC 1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC 1
May 19, 2018
Toyota Field - San Antonio, TX
SAN - Gordon (Cochrane) 7'
TUL - Rivas (Gamble) 51'
TUL - Jusino (caution) 47'
SAN - Felix (caution) 69'
Tulsa Roughnecks FC: Fabian Cerda, Claudio Munoz, Wyatt Omsberg, Adrian Jusino (Michael Binns 88'), Nemanja Vukovic, Jonathan Levin, Brandon Servania, Josh Morton, Paris Gee (Jhon Pirez 67'), Joaquin Rivas, Michael Gamble (Francisco Ugarte 90' +3)
Shots: 9; Shots on Goal: 3; Saves: 3; Fouls: 12; Corners: 6; Offside: 2.
San Antonio FC: Diego Restrepo, Darnell King (Mike Seth 81'), Ryan Felix, Ryan Roushandel, Greg Cochrane, Omar Gordon, Wellington Pecka, Mikey Lopez, Jose Escalante (Cesar Elizondo 46'), Sonny Guadarrama (Rafa Castillo 70'), Alex Bruce.
Shots: 13; Shots on Goal: 4; Saves: 2; Fouls: 9; Corners: 3; Offside: 0.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 19, 2018
- Indy Eleven Can't Hold off Bethlehem Steel in 1-2 Contest - Indy Eleven
- Roughnecks Battle to 1-1 Draw in San Antonio - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- San Antonio FC Extends USL Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw against Tulsa Roughnecks FC - San Antonio FC
- Independence Complete Season Sweep of Toronto FC II - Charlotte Independence
- Atlanta United 2 Falls in Louisville 2-1 - Atlanta United 2
- Ledesma, Albadawi Power FC Cincinnati Past North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
- Hounds Stay Unbeaten, Tie Rowdies 2-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Switchbacks Lose 1-0 Late to Oklahoma City - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- City Stays Unbeaten at Home with Dramatic 2-1 Win over Atlanta United FC 2 - Louisville City FC
- Strong Second Half Leads Bethlehem Steel FC Past Indy Eleven - Bethlehem Steel FC
- North Carolina FC Falls at FC Cincinnati - North Carolina FC
- Rowdies Snap Losing Streak in Neill Collins' Coaching Debut - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Saved Penalty Kick Earns Fury FC a Point in Charleston with 0-0 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Battery, Fury End Scoreless - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies to Broadcast Remaining Home Matches on IHeart's WHNZ 1250 AM - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.