Rooney Promoted to Double-A Harrisburg
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - The Potomac Nationals announced today that catcher Sean Rooney has been promoted to the Double-A Harrisburg Senators, the first Potomac position player to earn a call-up this season. To accommodate the move, infielder Michael Martinez has been sent down to Potomac and will rejoin the team Thursday before the finale of the four-game series with the Lynchburg Hillcats.
Rooney has been arguably the team's best hitter in 2009 with his .300 average, six home runs, and 40 RBI. He has also compiled an on-base percentage of .366 and an OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) of .832 which also leads the team. No slouch defensively either, Rooney led all Carolina League catchers in throwing out would-be basestealers, nabbing potential thieves at a 47% success rate.
The season started out slowly for Rooney as the Saddleback Community College product was hitting just .167 on May 6, but a huge series against Winston-Salem from 5/8-5/10, which saw the catcher go 6-for-10 with two home runs and six RBI, jump-started his stellar season.
Rooney took home Nationals' Player of the Month honors for the month of June when he hit .329 in 22 games. He has hit .317 since the All-Star break and has crushed right-handed pitching to the tune of a .318 batting average with three home runs and 27 RBI.
In Harrisburg, Rooney will rejoin his good friend Brad Meyers, who was recently promoted to Harrisburg as well. The two are former Little League teammates from Yorba Linda, Ca., and have spent the last two seasons together in Hagerstown, Potomac, and now Harrisburg. He will also join his former Potomac Nationals teammates Erik Arnesen, Clint Everts, Andrew Kown, and Carlos Martinez who have fortified the Senators' pitching staff since their promotions from Potomac.
Michael Martinez, an infielder who spent all of last season with Potomac, will rejoin the P-Nats Thursday before their finale against the Hillcats at Pfitzner Stadium. For the Senators this season, Martinez was hitting .223 with one home run and eight RBI in 65 games. He had recently begun to turn it around at the plate, hitting .346 in the month of July with a .393 on-base percentage.
Last season with the P-Nats, Martinez enjoyed a solid season, hitting .266 in 104 games with three home runs and 58 RBI. He saved his best for the P-Nats run to the Carolina League championship, hitting .323 in seven games with one home run and six RBI. He also swiped four bases in helping the P-Nats take home their first Mills Cup title since 1989.
The Nats and Cats will play the finale of their four-game set Thursday night with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 ET. As always, it is Ladies Night at the ballpark where all ladies receive half-price tickets to the game as well as a carnation upon entering the gates courtesy of Flowers in Just Hours. Throughout the game, all women can enter their name in drawings for great prizes including concert tickets at Meriweather Post Pavilion and a $150 spa getaway to Vita Nova Med Spa! It is also Second Chance Thursday sponsored by the Virginia Lottery. Fans can bring in any non-winning Virginia Lottery scratch card for the opportunity to purchase buy-one-get-one-free grandstand tickets.
For more information on tickets, daily promotions at Pfitzner Stadium, or anything to satisfy your P-Nats needs, call (703) 590-2311 or log onto www.potomacnationals.com to join the party!
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 16, 2009
- Cats Top Potomac - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Avoid Sweep - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Series of Hits Sinks Nats' Hopes for Sweep - Potomac Nationals
- Navarro Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam as Sox Take Down Dash in 10 - Salem Red Sox
- Navarro's Walk-Off Grand Slam Sinks Dash In Extras - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats at Nationals Tonight - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston BLows Out Fredrick - Frederick Keys
- Espino Tosses Gem, Leads Kinston To Series Split With Frederick - Kinston Indians
- Nationals Game Notes July 16th - Potomac Nationals
- Rooney Promoted to Double-A Harrisburg - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- 2018 P-Nats Open House Scheduled for Saturday, March 24th at Pfitzner Stadium
- 2018 P-Nats Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 19
- P-Nats Add Jose Canseco to 2018 Legends Autograph Series
- Potomac Nationals Announce 2018 Legends Autograph Series
- 2018 P-Nats Seasonal Job Fair at Pfitzner Stadium Scheduled for Wednesday, February 28th