Kinston BLows Out Fredrick
In what started out as a pitcher's duel, the Kinston Indians scored nine times over the final four frames of Thursday's game, defeating the Frederick Keys 9-1.
LHP Zach Britton didn't allow a run through the first five innings, but found himself in trouble in the sixth. With two on and one down, 1B Ole Sheldon hit a three-run homerun to left field, giving the K-Tribe a 3-0 lead.
Kinston tacked on another run in the sixth. With RF Roman Pena on first, SS Ronald Rivas struck out swinging. Keys' catcher Caleb Joseph threw to first, trying to pick off Pena. The throw was high and rolled down the line. Frederick RF Billy Rowell had trouble fielding it. Both Rowell and Joseph were charged with errors, as Pena came all the way around to score from first, making it 4-0.
The Keys scored their lone run in the bottom of the sixth. 1B Robbie Widlansky drilled a solo homerun to right field, making it a 4-1 ball game.
Kinston answered right back in the seventh. With LHP Jake Stevens in the ball game, K-Tribe C Richard Martinez cracked a solo homerun to left-center, extending the Indians advantage to four.
The Indians tacked on five more runs over the final two innings to make it a 9-1 final.
Indians RHP Paolo Espino got the win. He allowed one earned run over eight innings of work. His record improves to 2-5. Britton took the loss. He allowed four runs, three of which earned, on six hits. He drops to 5-4.
The Keys hit the road for a three-game series Friday against the Wilmington Blue Rocks. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 7:05. Frederick will have RHP Pedro Beato atop the hill. The Keys will return to Frederick on Friday, July 24th, for a six-game home stand. First on the agenda is the Lynchburg Hillcats. First pitch next Friday night is scheduled for 7:00 PM. For ticket information, contact our box office at 1-877-8-GO-KEYS.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 16, 2009
- Cats Top Potomac - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Avoid Sweep - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Series of Hits Sinks Nats' Hopes for Sweep - Potomac Nationals
- Navarro Belts Walk-Off Grand Slam as Sox Take Down Dash in 10 - Salem Red Sox
- Navarro's Walk-Off Grand Slam Sinks Dash In Extras - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats at Nationals Tonight - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston BLows Out Fredrick - Frederick Keys
- Espino Tosses Gem, Leads Kinston To Series Split With Frederick - Kinston Indians
- Nationals Game Notes July 16th - Potomac Nationals
- Rooney Promoted to Double-A Harrisburg - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.