Rome Walks Its Way to 3-1 Victory over Charleston
CHARLESTON, SC - The Rome Braves defeated the Charleston RiverDogs 3-1 in their series finale on Thursday night, igniting the game-winning rally with their patience at the plate. Trailing 1-0 in the 7th inning the Braves used five walks and an RBI single from Jose Bermudez to score three runs and take the rubber game of the set. Coupled with an Augusta loss, the Braves claimed sole possession of 1st place in the Southern Division.
Rome starter RHP Jose Olague was once again outstanding on the mound. Olague fired 7 innings and earned the win. Charleston got its only damage against him in the 5th inning. RiverDogs second baseman Oliver Dunn doubled and later scored on a wild pitch. Olague stranded two in the inning and was consistently at his best throughout the evening with runners in scoring position.
Rome was handcuffed by Charleston starter RHP Luis Medina but immediately began their rally once he departed after the 6th inning. Facing reliever RHP Tanner Myatt the Braves worked three straight walks to open the inning. Shea Langeliers, Griffin Benson and Greg Cullen all reached base and Langeliers scored on a wild pitch. With the bases loaded, one out and the score tied 1-1 Rome outfielder Jose Bermudez ripped a go-ahead RBI single into right to score Benson. Justin Dean worked a bases loaded walk to bring in the final run. Rome got five total walks in the inning and took a 3-1 lead they would not surrender.
Olague fired a scoreless 7th inning and gave way to LHP Tanner Lawson in the final two frames. Lawson retired all six batters he faced to earn his first save of the season.
Bermudez finished the night 1-4 with an RBI. Brendan Venter was 1-3 with a walk. Drew Campbell was 1-4 with a double. Olague threw 7 innings, allowing one run on six hits. He struck out one and walked two while lowering his ERA to 3.15.
Rome took two of three in the series and also wrapped up their season-series against Charleston by winning five of nine games against their division foe. Rome continues its road trip with a three game series in Kannapolis against the Intimidators. First pitch on Friday is scheduled for 7 pm.
Rome Braves (12-9, 42-48): 3 R 3 H 0 E
Charleston RiverDogs (9-12, 46-45): 1 R 6 H 0 E
W: Jose Olague (8-6)
L: Tanner Myatt (3-2)
S: Tanner Lawson (1)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Vientos' Inside-The-Park Homer Welcomes One Millionth Fan to Segra Park - Columbia Fireflies
- Four-Run Eighth Lifts West Virginia to Wild 9-7 Win - West Virginia Power
- 'Dads Silence 'Birds Bats in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Shake Extra Inning Skid to Steal Opener in Columbia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pitching Leads Tourists to Impressive Win - Asheville Tourists
- Offense Stagnant in 3-1 Loss to Asheville - Augusta GreenJackets
- De La Cruz Homers, But Claws Fall 4-2 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Lexington Puts Brakes on Drive with 5-4 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Marinconz Scores Three Times in Suns' 4-2 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 12 vs. Charleston (Game 88) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 12) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Power to Host Chevy Youth Baseball Clinics Next Weekend - West Virginia Power
- Rome Walks Its Way to 3-1 Victory over Charleston - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.