Rock Select Six in 2011 NLL Draft
Toronto - The Toronto Rock selected six players on Wednesday night at the 2011 NLL Entry Draft in Toronto. With no first round selection, the Rock selected Jesse Gamble with the 9th pick in the second round, 17th overall.
Gamble played his Junior A lacrosse with the Orangeville Northmen before graduating to play for the Kitchener-Waterloo Kodiaks of the Major Series Lacrosse loop this summer. Gamble was able to make a contribution at both ends of the floor by scoring 27 goals and 46 points in 20 regular season games but it was his defensive contributions that received the most recognition as he was named the MSL Defensive Player of the Year.
"He fits the mold of our team and he's a hard nosed guy," said Rock Head Coach Troy Cordingley of Gamble. "We're looking at defensive guys first. He's a heart and soul type of guy."
With Toronto's second pick in the draft they selected Pete Rennie from the Peterborough Jr A Lakers in the third round, 26th overall. Rennie had an impressive playoff run with the Lakers as they swept Brampton in the first round of the Ontario Junior A playoffs and then pushed the defending Ontario Champions from Orangeville to the max, losing in game 7.
The Rock continued with the Peterborough theme by selecting defender Eric Bissell in the 4th round, 35th overall. He's an incredibly tough defender to elude and his aggressive style of defence fits the Rock defensive game well.
In the 5th round, 44th overall the Rock grabbed offensive righty Kyle Davis from Brampton Jr A. Davis' final year of Junior A saw him rack up 79 points.
With the first of two Rock picks in the 6th round, Kitchener Junior A grad Phil Rawn, a defender, was selected 50th overall. The Rock followed that up with the 53rd and final selection in the draft by taking Mark Burnett from Ajax of the MSL.
The Rock will now regroup and get ready for training camp, which opens up in late November as they look to defend their 2011 NLL crown.
Toronto Rock Season Tickets are on sale and can be purchased by calling the Rock office at 416-596-3075.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 21, 2011
- Minnesota Swarm Selects Jordan MacIntosh and Evan Kirk in First Round - Minnesota Swarm
- National Lacrosse League 2011 Entry Draft Results - NLL
- Washington Stealth Add Five Players in 2011 NLL Entry Draft - Washington Stealth
- Knighthawks Take Keogh Second Overall, Select Powless and White in Top 10 - Rochester Knighthawks
- Mammoth Adds Eight in NLL Entry Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Rock Select Six in 2011 NLL Draft - Toronto Rock
- Philadelphia Wings Select Kevin Crowley First Overall in NLL Entry Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- 2011 NLL Entry Draft Today - Edmonton Rush