Roa Triples, Homers as Wild Things Suffer Sweep
WASHINGTON, Pa. - Hector Roa had two extra-base hits in Sunday's finale against the Freedom, as he hit a triple in the first and scored on an error and hit his fifth home run in the ninth. The Wild Things fell to the Freedom 4-3, finishing the homestand with three-straight losses.
The Wild Things scored two of their three runs in the first, as Saige Jenco led the game off with a home run on the first pitch of the home first before Roa's triple and subsequent error by Florence's centerfielder on the throw in that allowed Roa to score.
Florence loaded the bases with one out in the second before catcher Mike Gulino hit a grand slam to right the opposite way to give Florence the 4-2 lead.
There was no scoring until Roa's solo shot in the ninth, but the Wild Things were unable to do anything after that, as they fell to 9-19.
John Havird pitched seven innings of four-run ball on four hits and four walks. He struck out a season-best eight. Mike Castellani got the win, as he tossed eight innings of two-run (one earned) ball on five hits for the Freedom.
The Wild Things hit the road for six games, beginning with the series opener at Southern Illinois Tuesday. First pitch is slated for 7:35 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Rascals Fall in Finale - River City Rascals
- Gulino Grand Slam Lifts Freedom to Series Sweep - Florence Freedom
- Roa Triples, Homers as Wild Things Suffer Sweep - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Fall Inning Short of Shutout Sweep - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts' Ninth-Inning Comeback Beats Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Denied Sweep at Lake Erie - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crusher bats come alive in 14-1 victory over Miners - Lake Erie Crushers
- Shutout Leads Evansville to Series Win over Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Roa Drives Home Three in Loss to Crushers
- Wild Things Leave Opportunities on Base in Finale
- Everything Comes Together as Wild Things Take Series
- Five Wild Things Collect Multi-Hit Performances in Win
- Opportunities Left on the Field for Washington in Rubber-Game Loss