Revolution II Game Preview: New England vs. North Texas SC
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution II (5-6-2, 17 pts.) will play its final home game of the 2020 season on Friday night at Gillette Stadium, hosting reigning USL League One champion North Texas SC (5-3-5, 20 pts.). The contest kicks off at 7:00 p.m. ET and is available nationally on ESPN+.
Revolution II has won its last four games, outscoring opponents 11-1 during that span including a 4-1 victory over Fort Lauderdale CF last Friday at home. Homegrown Player Nicolas Firmino tallied his team-leading fourth goal of the season and added an assist to earn League One Player of the Week honors. Tiago Mendonca and Ryan Spaulding each scored their first goal in the victory, with Academy defender Colby Quinones recording his first professional assist. Quinones, who made his professional debut on Aug. 15 at North Texas, leads all Revs youth players with 884 minutes this season.
"I thought Friday we put in a good performance against a good team," said Revolution II Head Coach Clint Peay. "I thought our guys defended very well and we took some goals fairly well with good team play. [North Texas SC] is very capable but we think we're a good team as well in terms of how we're playing now and how we're defending so we don't take anything for granted. We know we have a task we have to do and hopefully our guys will be ready for it."
North Texas SC also enters the match in top form, having won their last three matches including a 2-1 triumph over the second-place Richmond Kickers last Saturday night. The return of last year's League One MVP Arturo Rodriguez has sparked North Texas, with the midfielder scoring in three of the last four matches. In six road matches this season, North Texas has gone 2-3-1 but outscored opponents 8-7 in those games.
Match #13: Revolution II vs. North Texas SC
Date: Friday, October 16, 2020
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Chris Mackowiak (play-by-play)
WHAT TO WATCH FOR against North Texas SC:
- Revolution II extending its winning streak to five consecutive games dating back to Sept. 19 and evening their record to 6-6-2 on the year.
- Several Revolution first-team players continuing to see action in League One play, including Isaac Angking, Damian Rivera, Nicolas Firmino, Justin Rennicks and Collin Verfurth.
- Firmino adding to his team-leading four goals and two assists this season after scoring off a free kick last weekend, helping him earn USL League One Player of the Week honors.
- Firmino and midfielder Maciel both making their 13th starts of the season after surpassing the 1,000-minute mark for the 2020 season last weekend.
- Rennicks scoring his fourth goal in six games with Revolution II. His first three goals have all been game-winners.
- Goalkeeper Keegan Meyer starting three consecutive games for the first time in his career after posting two straight victories.
- Academy defender Colby Quinones continuing to lead all Revolution youth players in professional minutes, having logged 884 so far. Two other current Academy players have logged over 100 minutes this season: Hikaru Fujiwara and Diego Souza.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from October 15, 2020
- USL League One Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL1
- Match Notes: Tormenta FC at Richmond Kickers - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Revolution II Game Preview: New England vs. North Texas SC - New England Revolution II
- Vote for FC Tucson's 2020 Most Valuable Player - FC Tucson
- Did You Know? - The Ironmen of 2020 - FC Tucson
- CHI Memorial Mammography Health Coach to Visit Chattanooga Red Wolves Ã¢ÂÂPnk Out' Game - Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution II Stories
- New England Revolution II Sign Defender Prosper Figbe
- Revolution II Defender Colby Quinones Called up to Puerto Rico National Team
- Revolution II Sign Two Players for 2021 Season
- Revolution II Sign Four Players Including Academy Product Colby Quinones, Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Revolution II Player Tests Positive