Republic FC Signs Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC announced today it has reached an agreement with former MLS Cup Champion Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed.
The versatile midfielder/defender comes to Sacramento following his time with 2018 MLS Cup winners - Atlanta United, USL League One side FC Tuscon, and USL Championship club Phoenix Rising FC during their record 2019 campaign.
"Andrew adds additional athleticism and bite to our midfield" said Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant. "He is a defensive specialist that will protect our backline and do a lot of the unheralded dirty work."
The 25-year-old, two-time USL League One Team of the Week selection joins Republic FC after beginning the 2019 season with FC Tucson. He started 20 matches and finished second on the team in tackles (46), duels (240), duels won (130) and interceptions (30). In the offensive third, Wheeler-Omiunu contributed by creating 11 chances and two goals. His exceptional play for Tucson earned Wheeler-Omiunu a call up to Phoenix Rising FC where he made six appearances for the USL record-breaking southwestern club, scored one goal and contributed one assist.
The Bellingham, Massachusetts, native was originally drafted by Atlanta United with the 46th overall selection of the 2017 MLS SuperDraft, later signing with the club on February 10. He debuted for the MLS club as a second-half substitute in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup against Charleston Battery. During Atlanta United's 2018 Championship-winning campaign, he was consistently an option off the bench and an available substitute on the game-day 18-man roster in a dozen MLS matches as well as the Quarterfinal 2nd Leg match against New York City FC.
Wheeler-Omiunu played collegiately at Harvard University where he was a four-year starter who captained the Crimson his junior year. Over his four-year career, he made 64 appearances (61 starts), scored four goals, provided six assists and was a two-time all-Ivy League First Team honoree.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 16, 2019
- Republic FC Promotes Mark Briggs to Serve as Club's Next USL Head Coach - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Re-Sign Rony Argueta - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Rowdies Set 2020 Open Tryout - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Signs Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu - Sacramento Republic FC
- Austin Bold FC & COTA Celebrate Dia De Reyes with "The Boldest Rosca in Texas" January 4 - Austin Bold FC
- 1868 FC Signs Sparks Product Kevin Partida - Reno 1868 FC
- LouCity Christens New Era with a New Crest - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Statement from Sacramento Republic FC on Confirmation of COVID-19 Case
- Upcoming Republic FC Matches Postponed
- Two Republic FC Players to Shave Heads for St. Baldrick's Fundraiser
- Republic FC Signs Three Rising Youth Academy Talents to First Team Contracts
- Republic FC, New Glory Craft Brewery Select Local Artist Design for Fan Collaboration