Republic FC Secure Playoffs Spot with Draw at OKC Energy FC
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. - Sacramento Republic FC will advance to the USL Playoffs for a fifth consecutive season after drawing 0-0 against OKC Energy FC on Sunday night. Following a string of results over the weekend, the point earned guarantees Republic FC a top-eight finish in the Western Conference with four games remaining in the regular season.
After a slow start, the visitors had the first look at goal in the 21st minute. Hayden Partain, who scored a brace midweek against Tulsa, found space outside of the box from a similar spot where he scorched a goal earlier in the week. With that same left foot, Partain placed his shot toward the upper corner of the net, but OKC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi made the diving save.
Energy FC should have scored in the 33rd minute, but Jose Barril skied his shot over the crossbar after maneuvering between two defenders in the Sacramento box.
SRFC goalkeeper Josh Cohen continued his streak of game-saving stops with another critical save in the 67th minute. Bustos was left unmarked inside the box as he received a low cross and struck it first-time towards the near post. Cohen read the strike perfectly to get down and block it out of play.
Former Republic FC forward Adam Jahn also had an opportunity at goal with less than a quarter-hour remaining. Jahn, who was part of Sacramento's 2014 USL Championship team, tried a shot from 25 yards out, but pulled it just wide of Cohen's near post.
Cohen was called into action once more in stoppage time, making a point-blank save on Deshorn Brown to preserve the clean sheet. Seconds later, Cameron Iwasa got all the way down to the other end and fired past Laurendi at his near post, but the shot struck the woodwork and denied Sacramento all three points.
Republic FC return home next Saturday, September 29th, to take on Portland Timbers 2 as they seek a top-four finish that will earn them a home playoff match. Kickoff at Papa Murphy's Park is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and the match will be broadcast on KQCA My58, Estrella TV (Spanish), and ESPN+. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com
OKC Energy FC 0-0 Sacramento Republic FC
Taft Stadium - Oklahoma City, OK
September 23, 2018
Scoring Summary: None.
Misconduct Summary: OKC - Atiba Harris (caution) 9, Callum Ross (caution) 85; SAC - Shannon Gomez (caution) 39, Jure Matjasic (caution) 78
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Josh Turnley, Shannon Gomez, Emrah Klimenta, Mitchell Taintor, Hayden Partain, Keven Aleman (Luis Espino 76), Jeremy Hall, Wilson Kneeshaw (Jure Matjasic 67), Cameron Iwasa, Christian Eissele (Cole Seiler 85).
Subs Not Used: Rafa Diaz, Carlos Rodriguez, Justin Schmidt, Mario Penagos.
Stats: Shots: 11, Shots on Goal: 1, Saves: 1, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 1, Offside: 1.
OKC Energy FC - Cody Laurendi, Drew Beckie, Kyle Hyland (Christian Volesky 86), Atiba Harris, Justin Chavez, Callum Ross, Alex Dixon, Philip Rasmussen, Marco Bustos (Deshorn Brown 77), Jose Barril, Adam Jahn.
Subs Not Used: Bryan Byars, Christian Ibeagha, Jonathan Brown, Richard Dixon, Juan Pablo Guzman.
Stats: Shots: 7, Shots on Goal: 1, Saves: 1, Fouls: 7, Corner Kicks: 5, Offside: 1.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2018
- Republic FC Secure Playoffs Spot with Draw at OKC Energy FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Last-Second Equalizer Lifts Fresno FC to Draw against Portland - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Strikers Come up Clutch in Wild 3-3 Draw at Reno 1868 FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- T2 Clinch First Playoff Berth, Earn 2-2 Road Draw at Fresno FC Saturday - Portland Timbers 2
- Real Monarchs SLC Drop 1-6 Result at LA Galaxy II - Real Monarchs SLC
- Indy Eleven Lose to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, 2-3 - Indy Eleven
- Nashville Draws Charleston on Rainy Night in Music City - Nashville SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall to Phoenix Rising 2-1 - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Surge to 6-0 Rout of Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Republic FC Launch "#WatchMe" Community Initiative to Empower Local Female Athletes & Coaches
- Republic FC to Host Club America U20s in an International Friendly
- Republic FC's July 6th Friendly Against Lobos BUAP Postponed Indefinitely
- Republic FC Launch "Thank You Coaches" Program