Reno Rally Snaps Grizz Three-Game Win Streak
The Fresno Grizzlies fell to the Reno Aces 5-2 Monday night at Chukchansi Park in the finale of a five-game season- opening series. Francis Martes pitched a solid five innings in his Grizzlies debut, allowing no runs on five hits, walking three with three strikeouts on 83 pitches. For Martes, the consensus Houston Astros number one minor league prospect, it was also his Triple-A debut after spending all of last season at Double-A Corpus Christi.
The Grizzlies first hit came with two out in the bottom of the first. Teoscar Hernandez (2-for-3) crushed a solo shot to center to give the Grizz an early 1-0 lead, his second home run of the season.
After Dayan Diaz retired the side in order in the sixth, Reno earned three runs in the seventh off Reymin Guduan (0-1) after five straight base hits from the top of the order with two out. Jordan Jankowski entered to finish the inning, but gave up a two-run double to Jack Reinheimer and the Aces went to the stretch leading, 5-1.
Tyler White blasted his first home run in the seventh, a solo shot to left-center to cut the Aces lead to 5-2. Fresno reliever Jared Mortensen retired all three batters he faced in the eighth after being assigned to Triple-A from extended spring training earlier in the day; the knuckleballer tossed two scoreless innings with a strikeout, to finish the game.
Aces starter Frank Duncan (1-0) earned his first win of the season, allowing one run on three hits with a walk and three strikeouts in six innings. Enrique Burgos closed the game for Reno and earned his first save with a scorless ninth.
The Grizzlies hit the road for the first time this season (seven games) as they face the Las Vegas 51s Tuesday at 7:05 p.m., the first of a four-game series at Cashman Field. Probable starters are RHP David Martinez, making his Fresno debut and LHP Adam Wilk for Vegas (0-1, 6.75).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 11, 2017
- Sky Sox Announce a Series of Roster Moves - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- No. 2 Royals Prospect Matt Strahm Joins Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox, Colorado Springs Airport Partner on Exciting Trip Promotion - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Duncan's Strong Debut and Aces' Late Offense Leads to Series Finale - Reno Aces
- Opening Homestand Promotions - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Rally Snaps Grizz Three-Game Win Streak - Fresno Grizzlies
- After Quiet Game One, River Cats Rally to Take Game 2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers, River Cats Split Doubleheader - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Express Walk to 5-4 Win over Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Drop Season Opening Series Rubber Match - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Rally in Ninth to Top 'Cakes, 7-6 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- SAC puts up two crooked innings en route to a 12-2 win over Grizz
- Tacos shell out an 8-3 win over SAC Tuesday night
- Sacramento's late run dooms Fresno in series opener
- Grizzlies split series with a 5-3 victory over Rainiers Sunday afternoon
- Grizzlies bite back on Saturday at Tacoma