Reign Fall Short with 3-2 Overtime Loss
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Ontario Reign (4-0-1), back-to-back Pacific Division Champions and proud affiliate of the NHL's 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, fell in overtime in a 3-2 loss to the Idaho Steelheads (5-1-1) in Game 1 of the second round of the 2013 Kelly Cup Playoffs at Citizens Business Bank Arena on Friday night.
The Steelheads opened the scoring for the series with the first goal at 13:20 of the first peiod. With David Walker barely out of the penalty box for Ontario, the Steelheads took advantage of an offensive push. Justin Taylor caught the pass from Rylan Galiardi and Matt Case and scooped the puck along the ice from post to post past JF Berube's right skate.
The Reign outshot the Steelheads 15 to eight in the second period but weren't able to convert on a single chance and were kept off the score sheet.
Idaho extended their lead to two goals just 2:27 into the second period. An intercepted Reign pass led to a three-on-one opportunity for the Steelheads. Chase Schaber and John Ryder teamed up with Tyler Gron to storm the Ontario zone. Gron worked his way into the middle and let a wrist shot fly through Walker and past the stick side of Berube.
As was the case in their previous playoffs games against the Utah Grizzlies, the Reign came alive late in the third period. Ontario's D.J. King got his team on the board while on the power play. Jake Hauswirth sent the puck across the ice to Brock Sheahan at the blue who ripped a shot on net. King tipped the puck right in front of Tyler Beskorowany and put it in the back of the net to cut the Reign's deficit to one at 14:03.
Less than a minute later, the Captain, Derek Couture, sent the crowd into a frenzy, tying the game 2-2. From the high slot, he called for a pass from Mario Lamoureux who delivered, sending one across the right face-off circle. Couture fired it past Beskorowany for the equalizer at 14:58 to force overtime.
After 7:48 of play in the overtime period, the Steelheads found the back of the net with a long shot from Gron for his second marker of the game. The goal gave Idaho their first win of the series, putting them up 1-0 in the Western Conference Semifinals.
Berube took the loss with 28 saves on 31 shots; Beskorowany earned the win with 37 saves on 39 shots.
1. IDH - Tyler Gron
2. IDH - Rylan Galiardi
3. ONT - JF Berube
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 20, 2013
- Steelheads off the Mark in 5-0 Loss - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Even Series with Win over Florida, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Game 2 Preview: Stockton Thunder at Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Forward Ian O'Connor Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Playoff Game Preview - Ontario Reign vs. Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Former Cyclone Kevin Henderson Makes NHL Debut with Nashville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Today - April 20 - ECHL
- Aces Beat Thunder 5-2 in Game One of Conference Semifinals - Alaska Aces
- Harrison's three point game opens up the Conference Semifinals - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Fall Short with 3-2 Overtime Loss - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Guts out Another OT Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.